Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a P4C800-E mobo and WD360 10,000 RPM Sata HD, the mobo is set to IDE mode for a month or so until i buy another WD360 to do Raid 0, but the performance is close to my Promise ATA 100 w/ my 40GiG HD, according to SiS-Sandra and PC Pitstop, i got the Hard Disk OEM w/ no manual for jumper settings and ive heard w/ Sata you dont need to set the jumpers, but somthing is not quite rite the speed is ok for getting work done but my games suffer. I know im only using IDE mode but the HD is Sata and suppose to do UDMA6 - AtA 150. Any Suggestions

P4 2.0 @ 2.2
1.0GIG Samsung Pc2100 CL2
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo bios v. 1010
C:\-36-GIG Sata WD360 HD
D:\-160-GIG Sata Maxtor160 HD
nVidia GF4 TI-4400 128DDR
AOpen 48x24x48
Pioneer DvR-104

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Microsoft Fix!

Microsoft is going to have a patch in the near future to fix this issue. I check every day so when it shows I will pass it along. I read this on the ASUS site.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
the HD is Sata and suppose to do UDMA6 - AtA 150.
Check the HDD specs again. The 150 MByte/s is the "Maximum burst rate running the specified...Serial ATA transfer mode" for reads. It's for a burst, a meaningless figure. For writes, this meaningless figure falls to 102 MB/s.

What you need to think about instead is the sustained data rate. WD doesn't publish theirs, but for comparison Seagate quotes some of theirs at 27 to 44 MB/s sustained, IBM at 29 to 56 MB/s. I did 2 simple stopwatch tests with my Maxtor Diamondmax 9 SATA's the other day, and got between 52 and 58 MB/s sustained. It's not 150, but it's better than the 3.5 MB/s from my old drive, and it gets a 1GB file saved in under 19 seconds, which is good enough for me for now.

-clintfan

p.s. this test was for copying a 200MB or 1GB file off one SATA drive attached to Southbridge SATA1 port, onto an identical SATA drive attached to the Promise SATA RAID1 port, all non-RAID. Same model drives as your D-drive.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
UDMA 6 and up?

There should still be an improvement don't you think when they get it running above UDMA5 don't cha think? Except your saying it will be minute right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am now running raid0 and my preformance is just fine, finally. Ive also recently found maxtor had a big drive enabler 48-bit LBA patch for my 160 sata and ive reinstalled win xp pro and all's well. My 2 WD360's are running at close ata133+ speeds according to Sandra ,PC PitStop, and 3DMark and i am finally veri satisfied with thier performance.

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/big_drive_enabler.htm

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Thankx for the tip, I put that patch on last night, went on fine. Hadn't hit any problems yet, but all of my drives are 160GB, so maybe I would have hit it someday.

-clintfan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.