Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If one were to dig around the forum you may find my rantings about the poor results that I have had with flashing the BIOS on my P4C motherboard.

Most people have no need to flash their BIOS unless it fixes a problem with their system. But being that I am a computer hobbyist and a tinkerer I just could not resist trying again. So I downloaded the latest version 1021.004 from the European ASUS web site and used the latest ASUS windows flash utility to flash my bios from V1016 to the new version.

After the initial reboot as I expected it would not post and I had no video, Sound familiar? So I unplugged the power cord for a few moments and fired it back up, still no Post and no Video. :4-dontkno

I left it running that way for about a minute and then cycled the power with the case switch and she sprang to life. :pray:

I didnt see any obvious changes in the options but then I have not explored them all yet. But I am pleased to say that I was able to lower my Ram timings and still maintain stability with this new version.

Before the upgrade
Ram stable at 2.5-3-3-8 with a DRAM burst of 8 clocks

After the upgrade
Ram stable at 2.5-3-3-6 with a DRAM burst of 4 clocks

With the old BIOS version I had to bang the delete key several times to get into BIOS but this version does it right away. Sometimes the F10 save and exit key would not work either. These problems seem to have also been fixed in this new version.

If anyone else is running this board and BIOS version please post your findings. Did it improve your system?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Barry :

Like you too I often upgrade the bios just for the sake of it. (hobby)
as long one is ready to suffer the concequences of a bios from hell for then why not take the ride. Thats why I keep my old bios ready at the floppy and a "cloned" drive on ready pad one / LOL

I'm happy to hear you like your new bios !!

cheers

joe

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yea there is always a risk involved. One of the things that led me to buy the ASUS vs another board was the claim of a crash free Bios. Well after working with it for a while it is not as crash free as advertised.

The strange characteristic of no post no video is a common issue with the P4X series boards. A recent forum post claimed that if you let it sit in the no video mode for a while then cycle the power it recovers. I think this claim has merit.

I have seen the Bios hang if it allows the video to run before it encounters a problem. But if it finds a problem before the video is allowed to run we are left in the dark. In either case I think it eventually generates a failure message but we can't see it if there is no video.

Once the Bios is given time to fail it loads it's defaults. Unless the problem is related to a hardware failure that is detected before the video is allowed to run you will have video on the next power cycle.

If I am correct in my assumtions then unless the problem is so severe that the Bios never even starts, that the removal of all devices not needed for post is always the correct failure analysis procedure. But the Bios must be given time to fail and get past the hanging first.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
The crash free bios works as such....if in the event you get a bad bios checksum error....all you have to do is put the motherboard CD in the drive and it will recover automatically after reading the bios off of the CD....granted it is an older version than you may be using, but it does prevent having to send the bios chip in for Asus to flash or replace. And as a note....never use the EZ-Flash and or any windows based utility to flash an Asus mobo....use tha latest version of AFUDOS instead....it will save many a grey hair.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hey TWA:

You are sooooo right on the selection of the bios utility / I have trashed 3 bios chips with live update before I finally woke up !! Yet so many swear by them, ohh well at least when they get their turn I can give them the name of a real fast turnaround dude for bios flashing !!!

regards

joe

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
:grin: after my first use of live update failed, I swore it off....I haven't had a bad flash since....yeah, I think Asus takes 2-3 weeks to send back a bad eprom ! As a general rule I never flash a bios until well after it has been relesed and I read what others have found out about it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I know, I was just being lazy. The windows flash utility does work as long as you know your machine is healthy and has no hidden gremlins.

As far as getting a Bad checksum error, been there done that. I consider that a Free Bios Crash not a Crash Free Bios. :grin: I have never tried this but instead of reflashing the Bios clearing it is supposed to get rid of the Checksum issue. I will probably get a chance to test this at some point.

I admit that the Crash Free Bios scheme is a life saver. :sayyes:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
linderman said:
Hey TWA:

You are sooooo right on the selection of the bios utility / I have trashed 3 bios chips with live update before I finally woke up !! Yet so many swear by them, ohh well at least when they get their turn I can give them the name of a real fast turnaround dude for bios flashing !!!

regards

joe
Yup it is risky using the Windows flash utility. But would'nt you agree that having to get a new chip because a flash went bad is in direct conflict with the "Crash Free Bios" claim? :confused:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Is this Good or what?

I used Everest to benchmark my ram and this is what it came up with. I dont have PC3500 ram but I think this is due to the FSB overclock. What do you think, is this good?

Also I have to change the Dram Burst back to 8. It is actually faster than 4. Will see if it makes a significant difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
My P4c800 dlx rocks with V1021.004 bios

I'm also a "hobbiest" and usually visit the Asus website weekly to find a bios update ( I need to get a life I guess ;-)) I'm always hoping that a performance tweak or better features will make the update worth it since I never update because I have a problem.

My P4C 800 DLX is a workhorse that never breaks down. I personally, use the Asus Update program in Windows for bios updates-Cringe, Sigh, curse.. I've had good luck I guess. I have never, ever had a problem updating the BIOS using this program. Be sure to have the latest Asus Update. I actually search for updates using this utility and I must say I spotted the above Beta at the Denmark Asus site as it is not posted at the global site. I've noticed some performance improvements--boot up time is a little speedier, and my system temps have gone down a bit thus making my system a little quieter. Other than that, no major addtions.

One interesting point about using Asus Update for new Bios, it will not let me flash back to an earlier Bios. Here they ask you to use the floppy/dos method. How primitive. Anyway, I love my board and I'm going back to HL2.
Cya. Aj
:heartlove :heartlove ----------------------------------------------------------------
System Specs:
Asus P4c800 dlx V1021.004
P4-3.2E with Stock intel cooler
Enermax PSU 420w
1 Gig OCZ Gold DDR400
ATI X800 xl 256mb
2-120 s-ATA Maxtor Dimax9 PRO Raid0
Audigy2
Boze Companio3 Speaker System
Samsung 19inch 193p LCD
LG DVD Burner 12X DL
New Q GOLD DSP TruSurround Preamp
Mitsumi 7 in 1 media reader

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice system ajbrun.
I recently discovered that I could turn Turbo mode back on without any stability issues. With my old Bios I could never do this. I dont know what Turbo does because I see no changes when I run CPU-Z and am too lazy to do a bunch of benchmarks. Maybe it doesnt do anything anymore. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks Barry,

I've noticed that on my system turning on the turbo seems to cause some hesitation with lauching programs, menus and folders. Pages tend to hesitate and then explode open. This may appear faster but I find it annoying. I've noticed that auto setting works best for me--smooth and fast.
I don't really o/c but I've tried it and have been very stable at 3.6ghz with my Pressy. I realize I would need to invest in an ice cooler to run it at that speed.

BTW, I liked the northwood better---I traded mine in (3.0g) when I prurchased the Prescott 3.2E to save a bit of $$. The only improvement I've noticed may be in video encoding where I save a few seconds here and there. The 1 mb L2 cache on the Pressy maybe the reason. As you probably know,It runs hot though. The Northwood is definitley cooler and runs faster at lower clock speeds. Anyways, until my next upgrade which seems to be far down the road, or until intel gets their act together, I'm sticking with my system. One thing is 4 certain, I will always use an Asus board!! Regards, AJ

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never noticed if mine does that when Turbo is on, I will have to see. I had a choice between the Prescott or the Northwood, I chose the Northy despite it's smaller cache because of the temps. Running stock it never breaks 38C at full load. I use a XP-90 and Zalman 92mm fan to keep it cool.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

I need this bios for my motherboard. I have been searching for all forums but I cant find it.

Can you see me where I can download this bios? In the Official page of Asus is the version 1021.005 but its very bad for OC.

Please see me where I can download this bios :cry:

Thanks

PD: Sorry for my bad english

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi!

I need this bios for my motherboard. I have been searching for all forums but I cant find it.

Can you see me where I can download this bios? In the Official page of Asus is the version 1021.005 but its very bad for OC.

Please see me where I can download this bios :cry:

Thanks

PD: Sorry for my bad english
sorry for bringing back an old thread, but i am about to flash my board with the 1021.005

any reason (see above, bolded) that I should not? would it be better to use the 1021.004?

im looking for slight o/c and stability...

thanks,
rico

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.