Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have the Asus P4C800 Deluxe MB set up with 2 SATA 80G hard drives. I make music and now want to set up a 3rd drive so that

1 SATA 80G has 2x40GB Partitions for dual boot one as music DAW boot and the other as general games etc boot

1 SATA 80G as audio file drive

I want to set up a 3rd drive for general data storage that can be accessed from both boots.

My question is can I use another SATA drive without using RAID and what is the best way to set up these 3 drives. I don't know much about RAID or it's set up but think I don't need it as I don't want to back up or stripe data.

Thanks in advance...

Osx

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
My question is can I use another SATA drive without using RAID and what is the best way to set up these 3 drives.
Yes you can. For DAW I would recommend the following,

1. Attach your O/S dual-boot drive to the SATA1 port. For DAW I actually might partition it further than what you planned: add a nother partition, about 4GB, for a fixed virtual memory swapfile plus browser cache.

2. Attach your audio file drive (where you keep your finished files, long-term) to the SATA_RAID1 port. You also need to enable the Onboard Promise Controller and set its Operating Mode to IDE.

3. For DAW, attach your third drive to the SATA2 port, and use this as your recording temp drive.

Because your soundcard will be on PCI, this drive arrangement will provide what is IMO the best DAW data flow possible within this mobo. I can go into more detail about this if you need it.

BTW I have no experience with dual-boot, but since SATA just appears as a regular IDE controller to the O/S, it should work exactly the same as if you were using regular IDE drives.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clintfan,

A couple of quick q's...

When I connect these 3 drives and begin installing Windows XP (twice - one on each partition) do I need to press F6 to install the promise drivers from the ASUS downloads?

Do I need to do this for both XP installs?

Thanks,
Osx

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm currently building a similar system with the same motherboard, and found the SATA configuration to be quite interesting. I've never worked with RAID before, and wondered how to configure my two 80GB SATA drives for maximum gaming and music playing performance. I'll most likely have one drive mirror the other in order to keep a complete system backup should the primary drive fail. I'm leaning towards single NTFS partitions on each drive with Windows XP Home, although I thought about putting the pagefile on a partition of its own. I did splurge by getting the full 2GB of RAM, so perhaps I can turn off the pagefile. LOL

Anyway, I'm on this same odyssey of building my first system with this motherboard, so I'll be reading here to compare notes. I wish you much success!

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
When I connect these 3 drives and begin installing Windows XP (twice - one on each partition) do I need to press F6 to install the promise drivers from the ASUS downloads?
No. Don't hit F6 either time. You're not installing the O/S to your Promise drive, that's the only time you'd need to do this.

Another thing. When you install, leave all drives UNCONNECTED (unplug their data cables) except for the drive you are installing to. It will be a lot less confusing for you during the install. After both O/S's are on, then connect the other drives.

Finally, after you install XP, the very next thing is to apply the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility. After that, apply the latest drivers downloaded from Asus, for each device. Here is where the Promise driver will go on. Since you are not going RAID, be sure to use the "Promise FastTrak 378 ATA Driver", the one for WinXP, not the similarly-named "RAIDDriver", and not the one for Win2003.

-clintfan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.