Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one's driving me crazy! Just got an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe, 2 WD SATA Raptors. The Promise RAID controller lets me build a RAID array, no problem, status says 'functional'.
Sadly, after that I cannot boot from my SCSI disks after that, nor indeed from a floppy, nor from anything, until I delete the array.
Worse, with the array defined I cannot even get back into setup, the system hangs with a blank screen (a few specks of colour) after my SCSIS bios detects the SCSI disks.
I suspect the system is trying to boot from the RAID array, but I have no way of telling it that I DON't WANT to boot from the array, but from SCSI.
My BIOS is 1006, latest official one.
Can anyone offer any ideas please?
Is there any way of forcing CMOS setup to appear BEFORE my SCSI bios takes over, the way it used to work with my P3B-F?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, an update on this one.
By disabling the BIOS on my SECOND SCSI card (not needed, I don't boot from any disk on this one) I was able to get into setup.
As I suspected, the RAID array was high up on the 'boot list'.
I put it at the bottom, I was then able to boot off SCSI as normal.
If I re-enable the second SCSI bios the problem returns.

So there are still unanswered questions here, for example:

1. Does the fact that the 'boot config' page has only room for 8 disks cause this problem, causing memory to be verwritten somewhere when it finds the 9th (on the second SCSI card)?

2. When I hit 'DEL' to enter setup, there is a message 'press F8 to see BBS menu', then after hitting F8 a further message 'Boot Selection Popup menu has been enabled' or words to that effect, however I never see any sign of this menu. I get the feeling that I could make some sort of useful selection from this, if I could ever get to see it ... Is this expected behaviour?

3. ASUS have now advertised the P4C800-E deluxe m/b .. it's back to the integrated Southbridge SATA/RAID controller .. does this tell us that the PC4800 deluxe (with its Promise controller) is a lemon?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.