Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like everyone else I seem to be having problems with this motherborad or is it my other hardware that i have, any help will be greatly appreciated.

System

P4C800 Deluxe BIOS 1004
Corsair 1024Mb Matched Pair PC3200 memory
P4 1.8Ghz (Off old board but Asus site says will work on board)
Western Digital 80Gb 8Mb Cache HDD IDE
Geforce FX5200 128Mb Graphics Card

I am trying to install my new motherboard, and cannot get the system to boot up sometimes and it just sits there and hangs, powered up but not doing anything.

Sometimes when it does do start booting up it always comes up with the message OVERCLOCKING FAILED and I have to go to the BIOS or continue with the BIOS defaults.

I tried to update the BIOS to version 1006 and got the error message BIOS has no flash information available.

Then whenever I have to reboot it just hangs again shutting down but not restarting.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to TSF MiG................:winkgrin:

Do you have one stick of ram in DIMM A1 and one stick of ram in DIMM B1............?

Have you tried clearing the Cmos? You do not need to upgrade the bios for your combination.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried stick/sticks of RAM in all combinations still no better.

I am running in circles like a headless chicken

S

·
0 Posts
Are you putting this new board into an old case? If so you may have a standoff hitting the motherboard where it shouldn't be.

You may want to try this.

Disconnect everything off of the motherboard except the CPU, Heatsink and Fan.
The fan should be plugged into the connector to the right of the CPU.

Take the motherboard out of the case and lay it on a phone book or something non conductive.

Hook up the following items only.

Hook up the wire that comes from the power button on the front of the case to the correct header, See manual.

Hook up the the power supply to the motherboard.

Insert one stick of ram.

Insert the video card all the way.

Hook up the monitor.

Hook up power to computer.

Turn on the monitor.

Turn on computer.

You should have video on the monitor.

This sounds like a lot of work but it narrows down the devices to a few.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the advice however I seem to have come to the root of my problem. I was talking to someone else and they reminded me that the P4 1.8Ghz processor that I am usin had a 400Mhz bus speed of 533Mhz bus speed. After some searching I found out that I have the 400Mhz one. When I went into the BIOS i found out that it was setting the PC up for the 533Mhz chip.

I therefore had to set the A.I Overclocking to Manual and then tweak back from 133Mhz to 100Mhz.

Also I read in the ASUS manual that the 400Mhz chip only supports PC2100 memory so I set the DDR rate manually as well to 266Mhz.

After this the machine is perfect, resetting all the time first time. Starting and I am playing games without any problems what so-ever.

PC-Mark2002 Results:

CPU = 4415
MEM = 5369
HDD = 1136

This is a massive improvement on my previous system. It even improved my 3D-Mark2003 score to 1400 a climb of 300 without any overclocking at all.

Thank you for the advice that you gave me, it triggered off the grey cells perfectly.

S

·
0 Posts
There is a list here............:D

I figured you knew what FSB your processor was..............;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.