Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WinXP just doesn't want to install or work on this system. I get errors during installation (while copying files I get errors that the sistem didn't copy them correctly, and when it's starts the actual installation it gives a fatal error that it doesnt recognize some signature or other).

If I install WinXP on the same HDD on my old system and transfer it back on the new build, after POST startup I get the blue screen of death...

I've been reading through the msg boards to look for an instance of what's happenening to my build, but only a passing mention with no clear solution.

Here's the hardware specs:
Pentium 4 2.4GHz 800MHz FSB
P4C800 Deluxe - BIOS upgraded to 1007, then 1008
2 x Kingston KVR400X64C25/256MB DDR400 CL2.5 on slots A/B1
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
F&C Switching PSU 400W
Maxtor 60G 7200rpm HDD on Primary IDE Master
Creative DVD-ROM 6x on Secondary IDE Master

I tested my memory with Doc Memory and it didn't give me any errors after 2 hrs of testing. Swapped Everything out except for the RAM, PSU and the Mobo.

It looks like from other threads I might get this working through BIOS settings...

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi peoplez!

Have the same problem...a P4C800 deluxe mainboard, P4 2.4GHz, 2x corsair ddr @400MHz, and an unwilling windows xp/2000/me
(i tried 'em all, including the attempt to change the cdroms, the hdd, i even out all of that into another pc...)
Just in this second i changed the rams and set a noname-256MB ram into the slot, and by the time, xp is correctly set-up and is right now installing...

There's just another question:
Dos anybody know how to flash the bios correctly? I tried with the AFUDOS.exe and a 1010d.001-file which i downloaded from ftp.asus.de , but the afudos.exe only tells me "unable to open file"... deos anyone have a tutorial or stuff like that ( or perhaps a hint, what to do and how to flash?)?

thx a lot

Pen

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I finally got it running today. It turns out one of my sticks was not as error free as Doc Memory had it. I tested it with Memtest86 and it gave a bunch of errors.

Makes sense, the bad memory corrupted the files as they were copied from CD to HDD on installation and who knows what mess it made when it tried loading the OS.....I guess if you want to test out your memory dont do it with DocMem...

As for the BIOS, Depends on the BIOS version you want to flash. 1007 you had to extract it on a bootable floppy and then run the exe file. On 1008, I just renamed it P4C800.ROM, put it on a floppy and EZFlashed it (Alt+F2 on Bootup).

Regards to everyone!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi!

My problem is solved (at least i hope so) -
first I changed the Rams what ended up in a running , but some kind of instable system...
Issue1: Sound is hackly when booting up xp - but not when OS is running...
Issue2: Data Transfers from HDD to HDD or from CDRom to HDD often quit with explorer exceptional error...
Issue3: When installing a second ram module, system runs instable , is ending up in bluescreens and southbridge operations are getting more and moire instable.
Issue4 (that's what scared me most of all!) : The CPU Fan sporadically stops working. No joke...it's no throttle or something. the fan stands still!The cooler is burning hot, but the fan doesn't run.

Result:
ASUS told me to change the board at my PC store , probably troubles with north bridge...seems like the problem is already known by ASUS.

So if you experience one of those issues: don't hesitate, change mobo!

Greetz
Pen

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem! Driving me crazy. XP either fails to copy a file during the installation or blue screens during install. My specs:

P4 3.00GHZ 800MHZ w/ stock Intel HSF
P4C800 Deluxe
1GB TwinX 3200 Corsair
WD Raptors in RAID 0 Config
Toshiba DVD/CDRW
Liteon 48X CDRW
Enermax 300W PSU

At first I was thinking it was a PSU issue - maybe upgrade to a 450W? Do you think it was you RAM, or the Mobo? About to call Asus in a few.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Solution!

my system:
p4c800 deluxe
p4c 2600 HT
60 Gb IDE
2x INfineon 256 MB 400 MHz

Had the same prob: system hang on winxp setup
0x0000007b
read the manual where stands in a table:
enter BIOS
for winxp or win2000 set ide mode to "Enhanced Mode" and support on S-ATA (even if P-ata used) (manual page 2-24)
it worked fine...

hope it works too for you!

bye
LittleMischa

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe the Enhanced IDE and S-ATA support are standard BIOS settings. Thanks for the tip, I'll double check them. I upgraded from rev 1004 to 1007, then 1008 per Asus.

Heating issue does not *seem* to be a problem. CPU and Mobo run cool in a Coolermaster ATC-110 case. Raptors Hard Drives run a bit hot but that is expected.

A call to Asus seemed to focus on the memory or the PSU. The memory (Corsair TwinX1204-3200LL) is supported - going to run a Mem test 86' 3.0 later to confirm memory is okay.

Perhaps an upgrade to a 400+ PSU is in order......WD Raptors seem to drain alot on power so I've heard...

Mischa what are you using for a power supply?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Installing Win98se

Hi,
It seems like I am the only one here who wishes to install Win98se on this mobo. Well, it is not giving me an easy time at all...!
I am starting the installtion process, and it simply freezes in random locations, for I do not know what reason. Maybe something to do with the ram or my HDD.
My ram consists of 2 X 256MB Ram DDR Corsair 3200 CL2, running in Dual DDR mode.
HDD is 80GB Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9 ATA133.
Can you guys give a hand here please?

Thanks,
LIOR

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,
It seems like I am the only one here who wishes to install Win98se on this mobo. Well, it is not giving me an easy time at all...!
I am starting the installtion process, and it simply freezes in random locations, for I do not know what reason. Maybe something to do with the ram or my HDD.
My ram consists of 2 X 256MB Ram DDR Corsair 3200 CL2, running in Dual DDR mode.
HDD is 80GB Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9 ATA133.
Can you guys give a hand here please?

Thanks,
LIOR
hi Lior -
had the same issue for a time... Installation Problems with Win XP/2k/ME/Longhorn - none of them worked. First I changed HDD and CDRoms several times.
As it turned out, the rams cause such troubles. Do you have Corsairs TwinPack? Or did you buy the Rams separately? If so - change the rams - either you buy twinpacks which are tested explicitely for DUALRam mode or you change the rams till you have a pair of working rams together(that was what I did...).
You'll see - your installation problems will dissappear as soon as they merged :winkgrin:

Greetz
tha Pen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.