Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here is what happened...

My computer is several months old and I have never had a problem until today. I was working and my monitor started to flicker. It would go out of focus for a second and then get back in focus over and over again.

When that happened I decided maybe I should update the bios for my P4C800 Deluxe. The Bios I was using was what was included on the setup cd. I hadn't updated it.

So I opened up the Asus Update and flashed the Bios. I had never done this before. I am now running 1011.007. The machine restarted and now states CMOS CHECKSUM BAD.

I then pulled out the manual and started reading. I realized that the method I used to update the BIOS is not how you are supposed to do it. I tried to follow their guidelines but now my floppy drive isn't showing up in My Computer.

I haven't used the floppy for months. But I know I used it when I setup the drivers for my harddrive.

So what is going on? The flashing of the monitor is better...but still there...and now I have a CMOS warning and no floppy drive.

What should I do?

Thanks
Jon

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
In this thread we talk about how to construct an auto recovery floppy for the BIOS, that loads at startup or manually via Alt-F2. Since your floppy is invisible at present, this supposedly works from the mobo CD also. That should take care of the bad checksum. Then you will need to reestablish whatever custom BIOS settings you had.

If you are able to get your floppy to work, be absolutely sure the BIOS you put on is for your specific motherboard: P4C800 Deluxe, P4C800-E Deluxe, etc. are not all equivalent.

Make sure your floppy cable isn't backwards. New floppy drives are less than $10.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Registered
5 Posts
pagej said:
Ok, so here is what happened...

My computer is several months old and I have never had a problem until today. I was working and my monitor started to flicker. It would go out of focus for a second and then get back in focus over and over again.

When that happened I decided maybe I should update the bios for my P4C800 Deluxe. The Bios I was using was what was included on the setup cd. I hadn't updated it.

So I opened up the Asus Update and flashed the Bios. I had never done this before. I am now running 1011.007. The machine restarted and now states CMOS CHECKSUM BAD.

I then pulled out the manual and started reading. I realized that the method I used to update the BIOS is not how you are supposed to do it. I tried to follow their guidelines but now my floppy drive isn't showing up in My Computer.

I haven't used the floppy for months. But I know I used it when I setup the drivers for my harddrive.

So what is going on? The flashing of the monitor is better...but still there...and now I have a CMOS warning and no floppy drive.

What should I do?

Thanks
Jon
hey i got the same problem - i have a p4p800 dlx MB and updated mine using asus update and whn i restarted it gave me that CMOS checksum error - but mine gave me the option to enter setup or load bios defaults. after loading bios defaults it went away.

if u load bios defaults u will lose ur settings like i did (write them down first if ur not good w bios settings etc) and i have no idea wht to set now so here i am looking for answers...cheers

oh the other abt my situation is that after updating - my asus update prog went berserk all kinds of rubbish(weird characters in the window) came up when i loaded it after updating bios

i uninstalled it and now it wont install back....geez...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.