Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble using two different identical pairs of memory and getting them to run at 400mhz in dual mode.

The memory is:

1) 2x512 sticks of Kinston pc3200 value ram

2) 2x512 sticks of PNY pc3500 ram

When inserted individually, they boot at 400 - when the pairs are together they only boot at 320

Is their any setting I can manually set to configure this - I don't have much experience in setting the memory manually, but with a little help - I'm sure I can figure it out. Thanks in advance,

Jesse

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Well my first idea is, according to the note under the table in manual secion 2.5.2 "Memory Configurations" I would put the two 3500's in A1 & B1 (blue), and put the two 3200's in A2 & B2 (black).

There are all kinds of rules listed, though. For instance, "3. Always install DIMMs with the same CAS latency." Mixing 3200 & 3500, I'll bet you're in violation of this rule, so the Northbridge chip may demote you to a lower memory frequency.

Also note that PC3500 memory (433MHz) is technically not supported by the Northbridge, although Asus claimed to have tested one model of these, and it was Corsair, not PNY.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
settings?

Thanks so much for your repley. If I do get it to recognize the Ram proporly what should my memory setting be set to? Is there a useful giude to this. I see things like 3-4-4-8 and 2-2-2-5 but never know which applies to me.

Thanks in Advance

Jesse

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ram timings are at times indicated on a sticker on the module or on the packaging which came along with the ram. If you dont find it here I would suggest you check on the manufacturers site - you should find this information there.

Have you tried placing the similar modules in the same colored sockets - for instance placing the Kingstons in the blue sockets ?

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
what should my memory setting be set to? Is there a useful giude to this. I see things like 3-4-4-8 and 2-2-2-5 but never know which applies to me.
Sorry, I have never set any of that stuff, just use all the automatic settings, and it works fine. You do need to pair them up, like subman said, otherwise things will run slower and in single-channel mode.

-clintfan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.