Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everone here at the forums. I built a new computer and if I'm correct it should show up somewhere (I put it in my registration) if not i'll submit it after this message. Well i have a P4C800 Deluxe obviously and am trying to get the cooling for my Intel 2.8 Ghz processor to work. At first it didn't boot and the computer repeatedly said "system failed cpu test." I figured out the motherboard was deflecting because I know that the Intel heatsink/fan can be too tight in these motherboards. So after it didnt work, i filed down the two tan arms used to put pressre on the cpu. After that the system said "system failed due to CPU overclocking..." ugh. So then, i bought a Quietmaxx 6500 cooling system. I installed it properly and again it was too tight. I filed it down and then once again "system failed due to CPU overclocking," was said by the computer. I paid 50$ for this cooling system and it wasnt working too hot so i am pissed. I got the system to boot once and i checked the CPU temperature. It was 82ºF. What is wrong. I went through all the threads and everyone problem like this is fixed after the arms are filed down. Is there anything someone can help me with? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

Having the same problem as BOB33.

Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket heatsink/fan that does'nt bend the mobo/zif socket like Intels clamp does?

Thanks...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same problem and i went out and bought a zalman quite cpu cooler CNPS5700D-Cu supports over a P4 2.8 ghz cpu
copper heatsink dual ball bearing
It fit perfectly
Works great my cpu runs about 32 degrees celsius = about 89 degrees. the fan cost me 29.99 at frys electronics.
It also comes with air duct funnel so it must be able to fit in your case. Volcano fans are cool too. make sure they are for P4 cpu 478 pin

Knowledge is power read it, think it, use it....

Computer tech. Jim

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome Bob33.................:D

Have you tried clearing your CMOS and the setting all of your settings for the CPU to auto?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i have tried clearing the cmos and when i got the system to boot up that one time the cpu settings were on auto. Anymore solutions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My opinion

Hi Speedo,

WARNING - THIS IS LONG WINDED

From the Intel link:-

"By using the motherboard's rigidity to its advantage, the thermal/mechanical solution is designed to provide structural robustness to ensure mechanical and electrical integrity of the desktop board during shock and vibration events. It does this by placing a compressive pre-load on the CPU package and socket. "

My opinion for what it's worth:- This is a great idea IF all MoBo's were created equal but surely they are NOT. That is to say some are more flexible than others.
If you take the Intel Heatsink/clamp and the ASUS plastic 'Heatsink Cradle' (which is screwed from the top side of the MoBo to a plastic 'stiffener' plate on the MoBo u'side) and assemble them outside the PC then observe the behavior of the 'Heatsink Cradle' mounting pads. Basically the 'Heatsink Cradle' flexes inwards against the aluminium heatsink and transfers this movement to the pads which in turn dishes the MoBo to give Intels 'designer' bend and subsequent "compressive pre-load"

My point...different MoBo's with variable rigidity=variable compressive pre-load. Some boards (like the ASUS P4C800) may be flexing too much and causing problems with CPU/ZIF socket electrical connections. Has anyone out there ever come across this problem with any other MoBo?

In the case of my PC which i've just built using a Chieftec Dragon case, ASUS P4C 800 MoBo and P4 2.8GHz/heatsink, when I switch on the only thing that happens is that the front panel LED's light and the fans come on...no POST, no display, no Hard disk activity and no beeps. UNTIL...I loosen the heatsink clamp arms to within about 5° of perpindicular to the MoBo and bingo things start happening straight away. I immediatly re-clamp (trying not to lose fingers in the fans) and continue as normal with CPU temps varying between 28° at idle to mid 50's for more intense 3d stuff. I can re-start ok but if I shut down I have to go thru the same ritual every time :-\ Funny thing is that the PC worked fine for the first 3-4 days before this [email protected] started happening.

What next? Having read some of the threads here one guy successfully overcame the problem by filing plastic from the original clamp arms to reduce pre-load. The problem I have with this is that its difficult to predict/measure how much to remove plus you would need to get all four the exact same to ensure square clamping, plus you would probably invalidate your Intel warranty. Another approach would be to replace the u'side plastic stiffener with a metal one to prevent MoBo flex completely, however Intel specifically warn against this, warning that it would apply excessive clamping force to the CPU and subsequently damage it. If you knew the maximum allowable mechanical interference between heatsink and CPU I think you could build or modify a clamp to work with a rigid MoBo. My guess would be to set your clamp to give about 0.2-0.3mm CPU/Heatsink interference. Coolermaster have such a stiffener (available to system integrators) which works ONLY with their heatsinks (the cool looking Aero 4 for example). However this uses a four clip arrangment similar to the Intel idea with no obvious means of mechanically reducing the pre-load should this be an issue with the ASUS P4C800. What I have finally settled on is the Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu ( http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/cnps7000a-alcu.htm ), for two reasons 1. 'Gamedude' has tried it and reckons it solved the problem straight away 2. I love the clamp arm arrangment which uses 2 screws and looks as if it could be easily adjusted for pre-load with simple modifications (if nessecary). I've ordered this part and will let you know how it goes when I get it in the next few days.

Sorry for ranting on so long and if this upsets anyone from Intel or ASUS who may have taken the time to read this and take it seriously...ask yoursely this guys...how do you think I feel????
This is the last thing I expected to be trying to solve when I invested my hard earned cash in 'quality' components.:mad:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i've ditched asus and i'm going to use a standard intel mainboard until i learn a bit more about computer parts. 3dx if you are worried about voiding your warranty just buy a new intel heatsink/fan. people sell them on ebay for around 14$ (price+shipping). Just buy one and you have a spare if you need to return it to intel. As for me i'm want to get my computer running and dont care right now to fiddle with ASUS's ridiculous boards. If this is the kind of products they produce and the tech support from ASUS sux i have no clue how they stay in business.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I messed up that Zalman link on my previous post but its fixed now.

BOB33 thanks for the advice my plan for now is to try the Zalman heatsink. I hope it fixes the problem cos i actually like the board and its features, if it doesnt, well then i'll be sending it back and changing it for an MSI or something.

I was interested to see that 'Gamedude' paid only $29.99 for his heatsink at 'Frys', well I live in Ireland and because theres no distributor for Zalman products here I had to buy it from the UK, it cost me €90 (euro) or $101 in your money incl. shipping :-(

In the words of your future govonor of California..."I need a vacation" (to the states).

S

·
0 Posts
I'm probably the one who mentioned filing down the heatsink bracket. But what I did was file the two cams on the levers equally by using micrometers to keep them the same. This was all done before I read the Intel article a few months ago.

But as I type this I am still using the same clamp that I filed without any ill effects. Oh and my CPU bracket didn't come with a stiffener and I have never used one on any of my P4 boards. But the replacement brackets that I ordered to replace my current bracket in case it ever snaps do have the stiffener for the bottom of the motherboard.

IMO Intel had a real good idea with this heatsink and bracket idea but needed to do a little more R&D before incorporating it into the design of P4 motherboards. Some sort of a spring setup would have eliminated all of this board bending stuff.......:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, I said i'd follow up with the Zalman heat sink report so here goes...

Did it just bolt in and solve my problems...NO
Did I have to modify stuff...YES
Is my pathetic excuse for a motherboard working...so far so good.

First problem - one of the aluminium attachment brackets wasn't tapped so i had to go and find the tap and tap in a new thread (not good on the QC side for Zalman).

Then I bolted it down but no difference (still wouldn't boot), so I backed the screws off until it did 1 1/2 turns each screw or approx. 1mm.
Got two 1mm flat washers, stuck them in under the screw brackets, tightend them up, pressed the button and bob's yer uncle. Shes idling at about 27° and with a moderate bit of 3D I didn't see more than high 30's.

So i'm happy(ish) for now...as long as it stays running, otherwise ASUS returns Dept will be getting one more piece of P4C800 scrap to waste THEIR time with.

BTW the Zalman is not as easy to fit as they make it look on their website with lots of potential to bend cooling fins if your not careful. The spring mechanism is fairly hefty and requires a fair bit of force to get the second screw in, just try to line the screw up straight so it doesnt get cross-threaded in their soft alum brackets, finally try to not let anything slip (like the screwdriver) cos your MoBo definetely wont appreciate that.

Good luck :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.