·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mobo:p4c800eDeluxe
cpu:pentium 4 2.8
ram:corsair twinx 1gig xms 3200
hdd: seagate 120g SATA

I have not updated the bios on my mobo, but i assume there are bios on the mobo already. I put the harware together started everything and pressed delete. So now im at the bios and made 1 changes raid to ide. Installed xp sp1 and i think it went fine.
But,
2 parts-----
1:When I start my computer it says no device found!
Then no bios installed.
Then it goes into xp and runs fine. I'm assuming I have bios installed if my pc is working why is it saying that? And all my devices are working cause I can access my cd-rom and a drive, why does it say no devices found?
2:I put in the mobo support cd and downloaded some stuff from there and now I want to create a boot disk:)bandit: ). Do I need the mobo support cd to create a boot disk. I got to command prompt but i can't find ms-dos
I've done a search but can't find it. Is the command promp actually ms-dos and how do I create a boot disk.
I tryed doing this in windows by going to start>control panels>add/ remove program>(but no link is there to create a boot disk, like the motherboard booklet told me)
Thanks for reading through my bad english. Hope someone can help..-

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
1:When I start my computer it says no device found! Then no bios installed.
I think a forum search would turn up this question, it has been answered a couple times before. The Promise controller is scanning its ports (SATA RAID1, SATA RAID2, and PRI RAID) for attached hard disks. All Promise controllers work this way. If it does find a hard disk, then it loads a tiny BIOS of its own, which is used internal to the Promise only, and controls such things as RAID and boot. In that case you get a listing of the devices it found, instead of the warning message.

If it finds no devices attached there, it prints the message you are seeing, in case you thought there were supposed to be devices there, so you can then go figure out what's wrong. So the message is normal if you have no hard disks attached to any of the Promise controller ports. Promise doesn't support Atapi devices (CD/DVD/Zip/tape).

I put in the mobo support cd and downloaded some stuff from there and now I want to create a boot disk
From the Asus download site you can get newer versions of most of the CD stuff. Be sure to apply the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility as the first driver, otherwise read this link to figure out how to apply afterwards.

On XP you use My Computer to create a boot disk, though there may be other ways. Put a floppy disk in the drive. Open My Computer. Right click on the floppy drive, choose Format. If the floppy is preformatted, choose Quick Format and Copy System Files (I think those are the checkbox names). If it's unformatted, choose Full Format and Copy System Files. This gives you a boot floppy. If you leave it inserted in your drive, and reboot the machine, you should get an "A:>" prompt. If you don't, check your Boot Device Priority in the BIOS setup Boot screen, it should be CD-Floppy-Hard disk.

If you want an MS-DOS prompt on XP, one way is Start- Run- then type "command" and hit OK. When finished in the window, type the "exit" command (instead of clicking the X).

I believe the old command to format a boot floppy from DOS is "format A: /S" but I have not tried this in XP yet-- it didn't work in NT4 or 2K. I really ought to get around to installing XP here at work... maybe today I will!

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Registered
3 Posts
For two weeks now I've been searching a solution to my problem. The problem was my CPU was constantly, running even at idle, between 50 & 70%. Had no yellow ? mark on my devices and had install the chipset drivers correctly right after windows and before other drivers.
Thanks to you and your comments regarding Asus and the chipset, my problem got resolved. Using your instructions after install I was able to update the chipset drivers to the current version and lo and behold my cpu is now running at the right usage 0 to 3% at idle.

Thanks

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Really glad that helped you, Randallizer.

I have not updated the bios on my mobo, but i assume there are bios on the mobo already.
I answered your Promise and boot disk questions, but I forgot to answer this question.

Yes the mobo comes with BIOS. Most recent mobos were coming off the shelf with version 1007. I updated mine to 1010. Now 1011 is available. If you want to know how to check the version and update, please see the thread, Asus P4P800/P4C800 Series: How to Update BIOS.

-clintfan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks cliffan! 1 more question

Thanks, I disabled the promise controller and I stopped getting those messages.
How important is it to update your bios, I don't wan't to screw anything up now that I have the operating system installed. Although I havent really customized my os yet.
-Petroclaus
ps thanks again.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
How important is it to update your bios, I don't want to screw anything up now that I have the operating system installed.
Well there are some who will jump on the latest version of anything, as soon as it comes out... drivers, BIOS, you name it. There are plenty of others who hang back and wait to see how things settle out.

As part of updating, you will need to set BIOS defaults and reapply any custom settings you have made. So if you do that wrong, then yes it could mess the O/S up. But if you are careful in how you write down all custom settings beforehand, you'll be fine. Most folks make fewer than 4 custom settings changes throughout, unless they're overclockers.

I gave you the link last time, with all the details. Including the step of backing up your current BIOS before the update, so you can go back if things don't work out. The updates through 1010 are safe. The 1011 fixes all look good, but I haven't gone to that rev yet myself.

-clintfan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.