Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all;

My gamimg computer has devloped a very bad habit of rebooting its self at random points. I've checked the power supply for proper voltage; good. I've disconnected all but video; boot HD; KB; still reboots. I've swapped in a different video card still reboots. The only thing that makes a difference is when I set the FSB down from it's default 133 to 100. At that speed the Mhz is at 700, and that's too slow for my tastes. Only thing I can figure is the CPU has gone bad. It's a P-III 933Mhz. Anyone ever hear of that? I've never O/C this CPU, and it's got a pretty heafty HSF on it, so heat isn't an issue.

Any suggestions, before I break down and buy a new chip/MB/Video card? Cause right now that's too much $$$

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Welcome to the board,

I assume from your profile your using WinXp ... have you checked your Events Log, Application and System for errors around the reboot time. That might shed some light on whats going on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No I haven't looked at the sys logs. One thing though...this also happened with win98 that was loaded on it before, I though that it might have been that 98 was so corruped but XP also reboots.

My thoughts are a failing CPU, but just wanted a second opinion...

(':D')

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

Well I havn't checked any logs yet, but I DID check CPU in another computer, and it had no problems running at full speed, so I'm thinking it's the motherboard. It's an ABIT BX-133 RAID bought about 2 years ago. Maybe I can get it fixed... :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.