Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I actually work for Microsoft so its ironic I need to come somewhere else for the answer lol.

Anyway here is the situation.
We are sent Flash drives so that 90% of our work is done at home.
My OS is windows 7 ultimate 64
The flash drive will load up an emulated windows xp system in kiosk mode.

I can get override the kiosk by unplugging monitor 1, replugging it back in, then clicking anywhere on monitor 2. Normally you can not move the mouse over to monitor 2, this allows that.

However as I'm working in help desk their forced kiosk is preventing me from viewing websites and using tools I NEED in order to get things taken care of, no matter how much they say everything I need is in the emulated windows, it just is not and I need to keep switching out of it.

Basically it just is not convenient for me at all, and if I'm in a rush constantly unplugging and replugging in monitor one just so i can look something up then switch back is going to cause some communication problems as I'm more focused and aggravated by the entire process of getting out of kiosk lol.

I know quite a bit about computers (autodidact) but changing Kiosk settings loaded from a flash drive is not something I'm familiar with.

A few options I have seen are to load local services in windows 7 and edit them but I'm not sure where as this loads from a flash drive.

Also I have seen some registry changes, but again all these suggestions were pertaining to people with the kiosk enabled app being on the hard drive, not a secured uneditable flash drive.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

As a side question, is there also anyway to force the kiosk app (emulated windows xp) to use all of my monitors instead of just monitor one.

They actually know I use a trick to get out of kiosk (they didn't bother asking how) so its not job threatening, but they also refuse to tell any of us how to do it effectively lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guess I can't edit after certain timeframe.
Anyhow, I figure that if I can set a hotkey to run an app in my windows 7 while within the emulated windows xp it will switch out of kiosk too, but I can't seem to find info on how to do that.

Another alternative was me setting up a hotkey within NVidia control panel that "switches application to monitor 2"
But it seems nvidia removed their hotkey features a while ago.

Any 3rd party programs that could possibly setup hotkeys that won't be disabled by kiosk?

I know another tech has media buttons on his keyboard (music, email button etc) and if he spams them it minimizes kiosk, this is pretty much what I want to try but with some sort of hotkey setting. Just can't seem to find anything that will be tied to windows shell.

If anyone knows of a 3rd party app to set hotkeys that pretty much can be activated anytime let me know

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.