Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the full story behind this problem:

I wanted to update my video card's drivers, so I got the most recent one from the ASUS website -- no problems there. During the actual installation, InstallShield wouldn't install the drivers. Every time I tried, I got "Error 1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Run Time." So, I Googled that error, and one of the pages I found said to update my ISScript engine. I tried to update that, but I get an error message saying, "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed." So, I Googled -that- error, and found a suggestion in the Microsoft knowledge base file that I should try the "net start msiserver" to see if there were errors, and if that didn't work, to try and unregister and reregister msiexec.

When I reregister msiexec, it works when I use "net start". However, when the installer tries to restart the service, it fails and the System error 997 pops up again when I try to "net start" it.

Am I focusing on the completely wrong thing here, or is it the fault of the installer?

(Ah, pardon me if my thread isn't as refined as some of the others-- I haven't been around here in quite awhile. Hope my question makes sense!)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.