Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my problem. I just upgraded my CPU to an Athlon 64 3200+, and upgraded the mobo and fan to go along with it. But since then, I've been having trouble running certain games. Games that I hadn't had trouble running before, even on the highest settings.

One game, for example, runs perfectly fine for a few minutes before completely freezing, requiring a reboot. Ive read posts about this before, but they all suggest overheating is the problem. When I'm pretty sure it isn't. (temp seems fine when I go into bios... like 56c? or is that too hot? Plus the cpu fan is more than what the processor needs, and I added a case fan just to cool everything down a bit more).

I cranked down the graphics and the game runs fine... which is weird because it didn't have any problems before.

So what I'm thinking is maybe it's a problem with my Vid card? I have an AIW Radeon 9800 pro, but it worked fine before the upgrade...

So yeah... any suggestions? :4-dontkno

·
Registered
31 Posts
You should check your temps with Everest or Sandra Lite. Try installing one and looking at all the temps at idle, then under load (run Sandras benchmarks or something.)

Are you sure you have installed the necessary drivers for that new Mobo? Did you do a fresh windows install? Graphics card drivers up to date?

you dont say what that temp refers to specifically - if it is the CPU at idle its a bit warm - although are you looking at it just after a lockup/reboot? I'm not too sure if thats graphics card it is ok at that temp but my X800 never reaches that under load (not now anyway :rolleyes: ).

If your CPU IS running excessivly hot you may want to try resiting the heatsink, use arctic Silver perhaps.

Make sure the fans are all spinning as well - your CPU fan should be blowing down onto the heatsink (if its the flat above the CPU heatsink type.)

I've been down this road myself with a new build recently.

Lee

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Downloaded Sandra, and all the temps seem fine except the motherboard temp keeps jumping off the charts. And after shutting everything off, the components do seem pretty damn hot to the touch... wouldn't really expect them to feel cool though.

I installed all the drivers that came with the board, and reinstalled the vid card drivers just to be sure. All fans are running, and everything is plugged in how they should be.

I didn't do a fresh install of windows though, but that'll be a last resort scenario...

A couple other things though. The comp crashed a little while ago (after being on for some time running several different programs) just like it did during that game. The picture on the monitor freezes, then scrambles, then the monitor shuts off (saying no vga input or something like that), and the comp restarts.

Also I plugged in my sound card, no audio comes out (maybe unrelated, I probably just forgot to change some setting, just thought id mention it), and the USB wireless network adaptor for some reason stopped working until I switched it to a different USB slot.

that help any? any other suggestions? maybe just a bad mobo?

thanks,
Aaron.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Display freezing, then "scrambling", then no display output?

I have heard of VGA cards in the process of overheating giving artifacts or odd pixels and the VGA card shutting down so thats still a possibility.

If the air in the case's temp is too high its heatsink/ may be fighting a loosing battle to cool the GPU.

Try running it with the side off and desk fan blowing into the case, if you have one, if its more stable then thats your problem (check temps with everest or whatever you used in case its unstable but cool). Dont let any kids/cats stick their sticky fingers/noses in there though. My families cats were notorious for sleeping on warm running appliances.

Soundcard - if you mean you've put a soundblaster or an audigy in and its not working check you've disabled the onboard sound - its in the BIOS setup - you're looking for something like "Integrated peripherals". Then if necessary uninstall the soundcard driver for the card and then reinstall it.

As for the USB thing you mean a different USB port - the small rectangle ones - not so sure but they should all be the same??. Maybe that one port is defective, or not connected right in the case. Maybe some are 1.1 and some 2 on your system, if thats possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.