Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there

lately my computer is shutting down without warning due to a overheating probleam as it says.In the message in the reboot it says that there was a thermal problem causing the cpu to shut down for security reasons.
Now,the thing is that doesnt seem to be true.Both my fans are working and the temperature is not that high as it says.In the bios settings the indicators rpm of both of my fans are 0 and the temperatures are

processor zone temp 94 c (this cant be true)
system zone 1 temp 47
system zone 2 temp 57.

Something must be wrong with the temp sensor i guess.But in bios i cant change a thing.

Can anyone help me?
it happens more more often.I cant write a dvd or listen to music.
its a pain in the ***

thanks in advance
idealkrush

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
still nothing

i have done the bios update already.
i have installed speedFAn and it says my cpu temp is around 90c.
but it gets higher everytime i try something like writing a dvd or play music and design in autocad.
the shuting down possibiliry is always there.
and the thing is that down there nothing is that hot.its preety cool i would say.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
dai had asked --is the cpu fan plugged into the correct socket next to the cpu
is it?
run a fan blowing in on the open side of the case and see what the temps are.
i would like to see what voltage is going to the cpu.

·
Security Manager, Analyst , Rangemaster, TSF Acade
39,538 Posts
I would take these temperature sensor readings with a pinch of salt - allow around 15% either way.

I have a P4 Prescott which is well known as running fairly hot. I use one of the big Zalman 120 hs fans for cooling the cpu. If the temp readings were to be believed, the whole lot should have fried by now but I've never had any problems.

Do you have any other fans, like a case fan, exhaust etc? You need to make sure that there is a good flow of air within the case. If you can get hold of a room fan, trying taking the side of the case off, blow the room fan directly into the case and see if that does anything.

What CPU and mobo do you have?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Keep talking to use about issues:

1) Is the heatsink fan blowing down as it should be or blowing up???

2) What type of thermal solution did you use....factory pad or Artic Silver???

3) How long has this worked correctly before it began shutting down???

4) Is your fan (hope you have one) in the rear of the case blowing hot air out of the case???

5) If you have a ftont fan, is it pulling cool air in the case???

6) Have you checked the ribbon cables to make sure they don't restrict airflow???

This information should help us to pinpoint the issue. I do suspect that your readings are correct or it would not shut down like that with that message. I also suspect that if you keep using it that way, that you will eventually damage your CPU.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
idealkrush said:
system zone 1 temp 47
system zone 2 temp 57.
These temps seem VERY abnormal. It definitely sounds to me like a case ventilating problem. Try as the others above suggested and pull the side cover off with a fan blowing into the case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
solved!!

I think i solved it.After checking the hardware again and again i made a detailed cleaning and now the CPU temp from speedfan has dropped to 43!!!there was a very thin layer of dust in one of the fans that was preventing the air from circulatin properly.
You were right.it was an air problem and not fake temperature indicators.
thanks a lot guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.