Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an HP Pavilion dv4000 notebook about a year ago. It worked well up to the first 6 months or so. Then I started ocassionally getting the blue screen of death saying "dumping physical memory" and sometimes just shutting down randomly.

But about a week ago it started doing it every day. I have to have a fan pointing directly at the left side of the laptop which i have raised, at full speed on so that it wont shut down.

This tends to happen most when I am converting a video or playing a game, or when the CPU usage is at 100%.

I've read several topics here that show the same symptoms and you guys concluded that it was overheating problem every time so I download PC Wizard 2006 and checked the temperature after 15 minutes of converting a video.

The processor was at 57 degrees and the hard drive got up to 39 before I turned on my household fan so it wouldn't shut down.

My question is, what are the best solutions to overheating of a laptop?

I've seen the cooling pads but I was wondering about how portable those are?
Also, are there any alternatives to cooling pads?

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Hi yarian,

Overheating is a common problem with laptops, and my laptop had this problem when I first got it out of the box. The quick way to reduce temps is to switch the power scheme in Windows XP to Notebook/Laptop. That will enable Intel SpeedStep. But if you are a frequent gamer, then it will not be a permanent solution, and you will have to get a cooling pad.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
A good cooling pad will only cost around $20 unless it is fancy and has a USB hub and a card reader built in or a fan speed controller. I use the Bytecc Aluminum Notebook Cooler. It is the most effective I have seen. The only problem is it isn't meant for the lap. If you travel with your laptop a lot, take a look at this other one, it has a high airflow as well. The only thing is it is quite a bit more expensive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834999336
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835192013

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About the first pad you posted.
My computer releases the air through the back on the left side near the screen half of the laptop. Will this cool pad cool down the laptop even though its fans are not located in the right place?

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Yes. The laptop most likely will have a vent on the bottom to allow some air in. Air will be blown in through the bottom and exhausted through the back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered the "Bytecc" pad a couple of days ago and it arrived today.
I went into PC Wizard and my temperatures after playing a game got as high as:
CPU Temp stayed at 68 degrees C.
Processor Temp went from 31-38 degrees C.

I'm not really seeing the pad make it cooler, I've just seen it help it not get so overheated. I haven't tested it properly but once I do I'll so how it works.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
these temps make no sense.

Before pads:
HD 39
Processor 57

After pads: after playing a game for 20 minutes:
HD 68
Processor 31-38

Today after a couple of hours of using (no game)
HD 32
Processor 37

I don't know how to interpret this.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
If your CPU temps are not going above 40 degrees, that is good news! Those are good temps, it looks like the cooling pad did the job.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only problem is the temps are not constant.
I just turned on my computer right now after hibernating and barely done anything and it's already processor = 47degrees and hard disk 28 degrees.

and i also notice sometimes cpu usage goes to 100% for no reason.
svchost goes up to like 32,456k

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
The CPU probably was very active from restoring the laptop from hibernation. 47 degrees is still well within acceptable range. And svchost can be a real pain BTW, it will often have 100% CPU usage for seemingly no reason, especially when you are doing a Windows Update.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, thank you very much Matt. I have solved my problem. If I have any further problems with overheating I'll PM you if you don't mind.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
You're Welcome. You can keep posting in this thread if you have any more questions, as I will know if you respond to this thread. If you do reply to this thread and I don't respond back, then feel free to send me a PM.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello TheMatt. A couple of months ago I bought the cooling pad for my laptop that you recommended, it worked like a charm for a while however, now I am having the problem again. My computer can be put to regular use for hours with just the cooling pad, but now I can't convert videos even with a fan next to it or it will shut down and I have to have a fan pointed at it in order to play games like The Sims and WoW. Is there anything I can do that will not cost me an arm and leg? Keep in mind most places won't hire a person of my age and therefore I don't have lots of money to spend on this.

I am noticing the main problem is that the air the cooling pad is producing doesn't hit the part of the laptop that heats up the most which is the left part but some vents it has on the back of the laptop facing towards the wall, not towards my desk.

·
Banned
23 Posts
hey yarian not saying this a work but i did it for my laptop yesterday and its still cool touch wood right power management tab set all 45 mins advanced one power off other two stand by dont use none for first one computer dont like it 2) then thire is a programe called speed fan you have to be einstine to work it but it is free and thier is on line help apparantly

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
What are the temps now?

I would take a small philips screw driver and open up the bottom panels of the laptop. Use a can of compressed air (don't just blow) to dust out the laptop. Remember, ALWAYS hold the can upright!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not sure what the temps are since I haven't got the program anymore. I might do the dusting but I am scared of messing up something if I do it my self so I might take it to a place, definitely not geek squad but somewhere else.

I'll download PC Wizard later and run a temp check.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After hours of normal use with the cooling pad on the whole time:

CPU: 58 Celsius
HD: 36 Celsius

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.