Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've overclocked a AMD Athlon XP 2600 Batron core so it ran like a 3200+ model although i never changed any voltages just the bus speed. I recently purchased a Abit KV8 Pro Motherboard with a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ socket 754 can anyone tell me if they have ever overclocked one of these to a sfae standard, or explain to me how the voltages work when overclocking and give me a few pointers. Thanks

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also will this mobo support ECC server Ram? DDR PC2100 Its made by Micron i think the ram i was looking at.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
You shouldn't need to increase the Vcore on that unless you are doing an insane overclock, which I doubt you will be able to achieve stably. Since that CPU is 2 GHz, it will be easy to OC since the multiplier is 10. Just increase the FSB by increments of 5. So...

200 MHz x 10 = 2.0 GHz (your current speed)

205 MHz x 10 = 2.05 Ghz

210 MHz x 10 = 2.1 GHz

215 MHz x 10 = 2.15 GHz

220 MHz x 10 = 2.2 GHz

225 MHz x 10 = 2.25 GHz

230 MHz x 10 = 2.3 GHz

230 MHz x 10 = 2.35 GHz

240 MHz x 10 = 2.4 Ghz

You will easily be able to get to 2.2 GHz, and maybe 2.4 GHz. Just remember:

Always monitor your temps (use SpeedFan) while stressing the CPU and for the first couple of days with the new OC. Don't led your load temps go above 60 degrees.

For every 50 MHz you increase the CPU, you should do a quick (10 - 20 mins) stability check with Prime95 to make sure everything is OK. If you get any errors, stop, and reduce the frequency.

Once you are at your target frequency (I would stop at 2.4 GHz), run Prime95 for 1 - 2 hrs. to check for stability. Always monitor temps.

Once that checks out, run Memtest86 overnight to check that your RAM is stable. You may find that you need to increase the timings a little if the Memtest86 gives errors.

If your computer refuses to POST, reset the CMOS and try to boot again, remembering where you were. You should probably drop the speed down 100 MHz if this happens.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Also take into consideration what your memory interface will be after the overclock. If you are running PC3200, it is designed with a 200Mhz interface. If your FSB is 240 MHz, then it may create a bottleneck at the memory. Will you notice the bottleneck? Probably not. Just consider adjusting your multiplier as well (if it isn't locked). You probably will not need to adjust vcore, but definetly stress test it like TheMatt said. If it locks up, increase vcore. Be careful though, and increase in small increments and test. It can get tedious, depending on your overclock.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
How come you want to run ECC RAM? Are you using this computer as a server? If you aren't, then there is no need for ECC. But the board will support ECC if you do need it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So that will be fine to run this
HP 512MB DDR 400mhz,
PC3200R, CL3 ECC Registered
184 pin Single side ECC registered Ram
Sorry for all the questions

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Please note that TSF, its staff, advertisers, and host are not responsible to any damage that may result from overclocking.

·
Registered
399 Posts
you can run ecc, but you cant run registered ram unless its s940/socket f. why are you insistent on getting server ram for this board? regular ddr is fine...

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
floydfan & matt are dead on you don't need ecc ram

Just get your self some corsiar value select pc3200 C/L 2.5
This will be fine for small overclock.

If you really want to push the board and cpu you will need corsair's XMS series or some OCZ.

Neither one of the ram sticks you linked to from ebay will work right with the KV8

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, you're gonna pay for ECC, but I guess you know that already.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually found a nice 1gb set on ebay of ecc ram and it was cheaper, but dont worry i bought standard geil ddr400 ram.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.