Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, let me start from the beginning...

A few months ago I decided to build my own computer. This was my 2nd build (my first build was through a program back in high school). I ordered the parts and built it successfuly. Here was the specs when I built it:

ASUS P4P800SE motherboard
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb
256mb DDR RAM
Pentium4 3.0 ghz
Creative Labs Audigy 2

After the build, I decided I needed new RAM. I purchased Corsair Dual-Channel 1gig pc3200 (two 512 sticks). I've used the ram for a month with no problems at all, working perfect.

Then 2 days ago, I leave my computer to eat lunch. Come back, and it's at the first boot screen where it shows the type of ASUS motherboard. I figured it would continue booting, still puzzled why it restarted in the first place. However it did not move, it just stayed at that screen.

I held the power button down and rebooted. This time it went to a screen and gave me the message of "Overclocking failed!" and an option to change BIOS or to boot windows normally. I booted windows up and it worked. I then left my computer agian to go out. Came back later that night, and it was at the boot screen again, not moving.

I decided to check the parts. First thing I tried was the RAM. I took one 512 stick out and left the other in there. Powered up, and it booted perfectly. Now whenever I have the two 512s in there, it either doesn't boot (nothing appears on the monitor) or gives me the message of overclocking failed.

Not sure what this means, I've never tried to overclock anything. Anyone have some input or advice on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

the "overclock failed" message is given on the P4800 boards so often for so many reasons it rarely means anything useful !!

I would start off by doing a cmos re-set see mobo manual for CLRTC

I would also suggest you download and run sandra lite (free) monitoring program
http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10018691.html

after running sandra lite / copy and paste your system temps, cpu temps, system voltages (use the copy to clipboard feature at bottom of each sandra window ~~ then copy just the info requested above and paste)

the best test of your system (we are taking blood pressure so to speak)
is to run spyware scanner, defrag and anti virus scanner all at the same time for about 20 minutes / then record your readings and paste them in here

there are generally two things that cause a system to do auto shutdowns / heat & heat

could be thermal temp overheating or unstable volatage over heating ????

what is the make and model of your PSU ???????

also run memtest86.com on your memory before bed time / let it run for atlest 4 hours or more >>>> more is better

did you check to make sure your memory stick models are listed as compatible for your motherboard / check the corsair website ?????

will await your response ?????

regards

joe

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Linderman
I looked in the manual and Corsair is listed. :sayyes:
dacan
Have you tried both modules separately?

I had a pair of 512's that ran together for 8 mo then one day no way!
failed mem test as a pair passed separately. <2 mo later one fail completely. :4-dontkno

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.