Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I'm working on an E-Machines T2825 desktop running Windows XP Home.

When I first got it, it was overclocked (according to the error message) and wouldn't even boot into Windows. I ran chkdsk /r. It made "1 or more" repairs and now I can boot into Windows. I've cleaned it up considerably, but I'm still having this problem:

On bootup, the Windows screen appears after only about 5 seconds, then the Welcome screen appears but that takes about a minute to go away, and then the desktop appears but it takes almost 10 minutes for the icons and task bar to appear on the desktop.

I've done all the normal cleanup stuff (msconfig, spyware and adware removal, tempfile and cookie removal, registry cleanup, disk defrag, ram defrag, etc.) but the problem remains.

After the intitial chkdsk /r completed and windows booted, I got a message saying that the registry had been corrupted, but had subsequently been repaired. Not sure if that is pertinent. Also, I decided to run chkdsk /r again for good measure, and it made"1 or more" repairs again.

Also of note is that I haven't been able to install AVG. This is normally something I would do as part of a "cleanup" but it won't load on this system for some reason. I even tried loading it on a newly installed external hdd, but it still won't load. Is it possible that the overclocking and/or corrupt registry issues still remain, at least in part? If so, I have no idea how to fix those problems beyond what I've already done.

For a machine that I know for a fact was overclocked in the past, is there something in addition to chkdsk /r that I should be doing to truly fix the problems that occurred as a result?

Sorry for the long-winded message. I just wanted to make sure I mentioned everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
696 Posts
When the desktop shows up open your task manager and end the task explorer.exe then click new task.. And type in explorer.exe.. It seems explorer is somehow damaged..

As for it being overclocked.. It could not be as it is a gateway (e-machine) you cannot overclock any of those types of pc's be it Dell, Hp etc..

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as whether this particular machine can be overclocked, I am only telling you exactly what the blue screen said. It said that the CPU had been overclocked. I then asked the user if the pc had been used for gaming, and she said "yes, my stupid brother used it for gaming and tweaked it for that purpose". Again, I'm only telling you what the actual blue screen said.

As for ending the explorer.exe task, I think this information would be useful: In the Processes window of the Task Manager, it is a process called WUAUCLT.EXE that is taking up all the memory. It is fluttering at around 99% all the time. I haven't done anything since the machine booted an hour ago, other than bring up the Task Manager.

What is WUAUCLT.EXE?

·
Registered
696 Posts
It is the auto update for windows..

Right click my computer...Click properties...Now click on Automatic Updates..Untick automaticlly update windows...
Now to make sure it is off..
Click start..Click run...and type in msconfig go the the tab services and scroll down to where you will find automatic updates.. Untick that circle...then it will ask you to reboot.. Do that and if it still take forever to show the icons etc press crtl altdel to bring up the taks manager and do what I typed up above..

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That worked. Thank you.

Can you tell me why that happened? Will this pc be able to ever have Automatic Updates? Does it have something to do with it not being able to get online? I have a live Internet connection plugged into it, but it won't go online because it says that the IP address can't be renewed (or something close to that). I've tried doing the ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew thing, to no avail.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I would not worry about auto updates.. It could be your firewall blocking it... I only update once a month. Cause if you leave it on it takes up allot of valuable cpu cycles and ram..

Glad you got it to work though..

Edit: Are you still having problems getting online with it?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. I ran ipconfig and the address is all zeros. I know for a fact that the internet connection is good. I'm running this pc from the same router. What gives?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Do you know if the Ethernet driver is installed? Since it is giving all 0's

Right click My Computer..Click Manage...Device Manager...Any yellow or red spots in there?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ok that means no sound driver
No Video driver (at least a good one not just windows generic driver)
As for the usb that could be allot of things..

Go to the site below (you will have to sign up) and run a test...And post back the results like below..
DO them in order. This way I can look inside the machine...

Edit: You cannot access the internet with the machine can you?

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, you said "Go to the site below (you will have to sign up)"

...but I don't see a link anywhere. Did I miss something?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I can run diagnostics on it, but I cannot get online. So, I just downloaded the pitstop system diagnostics tool onto my external hdd (and paid $35). I'm really hoping that I can use the program on another computer, not just my own. Can I connect my hdd to another system and use the pcpitstop program?

Update: I just tried to do the above, and the program will NOT run without an internet connection. I was thinking that I could use the program on other computers that I tune up from time to time. $35 is a lot of cash just for a few tweaks on ONE computer.

Anyway, I'm still at the point where I was before. Can't get online because of no IP address.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Nooo dont buy those tools they suck.. The test is free...

Ok we need to see what is wrong with either you rthernet controller or the cat 5 or 6 cable itself..

Go back into your device manager...Click on network adapters..You will see one that says 1394 something something.. Then another one..(now only do this if you have the drivers cd for the computer) uninstall it and reboot..

Or can you tell me what the drivers name is? Like mine is Nvidia Nforce network controler

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.