Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately many of us get flooded with empty emails which seem to be used to determine if our email addresses are active. It we open these emails a signal is sent to a mailing list seller who keeps the email address on his lists. I have been advised to always only read my email off-line to avoid this problem. It seems to work but takes a month or two before the siege abates. Then when you forget to go off-line or open an offending email which gets you back on the lists and it starts over again.
Does anyone know for sure that this method is really effective? Is there a better way to handle this without resorting to keeping your email address secret except to the trusted few?
I have several email accounts and the one affected most is the one I use with Outlook Express. I have tried Outlook but don't need all its functions it has.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
We all have friends that are the kind to forward to all their contacts a message about nokia giving away free cellphones or hotmail becoming a paying service. So I don't really believe there's a way to prevent all spam.

Anyone knows about a mail provider or client that can use ip adresses ranges in its block list ? And about a list of spamming ip's ?

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I go to my ISP providers email site first, look over my emails without opening them. I delete the ones I don't want. Then I use Outlook Express to download the emails I want. I have been using this method for over a year and have had zero problems with viruses.

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
I use GMail, Outlook Express and several mail handling rules in OE to sort my mail. Mail from known and regulars source goes to certain folders, Everything else stays in the Inbox.

Gmail will filter out a certain amount of spam, although sometimes it's wrong. I've never got an infected e-mail in over 4 years of using this system.

I think the paranoia over infected e-mails is WAY overblown. ISP's and e-mail handlers are all scanning for infection, so I think reasonable security on your machine ought to be enough.

I don't know about any "signal" that gets sent when you open an e-mail OE lets me preview anything I don't want to open, and it gets scanned before it's brought in, so I don't see how it can get through or do anything. Sounds a bit "off", as in the person that told you this was only repeating the last thing the last idiot told him. There's a lot of that, self-appointed Paul Revere's running around warning us all about things they themselves do not understand.

Somewhere, something dangerous is about to happen, so I just want you to be careful.

(And this is where you are supposed to be grateful . . .)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My main concern has been getting off spammers email lists. I recently opened an email on hotmail and the next day I had 30 emails in my ISP account. six of them were "empty" no text, no subject, etc. This continued for several days. I understand that if these are opened they verify your email address is active and you are kept on spammer's mailing lists. Since then I have kept to the rule of reading email only while off line. After a few days the email rates returned to the previous levels. I still get weight loss and meds spam and have not been able to eliminate them. The rules capability in Outlook express is inadequate in this effort. The spammers resort to using special characters and images of text to avoid easy filtering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.