Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short version - busted motherboard - good hard drive.

My mail is on the good hard drive. I put the drive in an external enclosure and connected it via USB to another PC - Both of the computers are / were running XP.

How can I retrieve the address book and email from the drive in the USB enclosure?

I tried to drive in the newer PC the dead one came from an HP the other is a Dell) and I got the BSOD immediately.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,257 Posts
Do a search for *.wab to find the Address Book . . and Search for "Outlook Express" to find the folder the mail is stored in. Youmay find several Outlook Express files, the one you want is full of .dbx files

You will have to set the search to look in Hidden and System files

·
Registered
352 Posts
dunno about you but I always forget to go into the advanced search options and say "look in hidden folders" or whatever. It is in a hidden folder. The default location for a WAB is...I forgot. The default location for an outlook express mail file is:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{some random jibberish or your literal account name}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Local settings is marked as a hidden folder by the way. Oh and an outlook file is a .DBX extension so you can just run a search for that or go find it there manually.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The file can not be found. Why? Why not? With this program Whose on First makes perfect sense! I will keep trying and...aw nuts!

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,257 Posts
Double check the settings to be sure you have the advanced search options set to look in Hidden and System golders

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.