Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with Outlook Express. Whenver I retrieve my messages or send a message, I receive the following errors after the task (receiving or sending all messages) has completed:

rasautou.exe App Error
The instruction at 0x00000000 referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read.

Outlook Express has encountered a problem and needs to close.
Error signature
AppName: msimn.exe AppVer:6.0.2600.0 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.0 Offset: 0002822a

It also gives me the option to view further info that will be sent to Microsoft if I choose to send it. Whether or not I choose to send it, OE then shuts down.

I am able to work offline in OE without a problem.

At the advise of a Dell tech support person, I downloaded and installed Internet Explorer 6 SP1 (when all this started, I had IE6). I did the download and install, hoping that that would bring in a new copy of OE and fix my problem. I can see the new version of IE, but don't know how to verify that a new copy of OE was installed. If a new copy of OE was installed, I'm stumped, because my guess was my problem was caused by trashed OE code.

One other interesting note: IE is not listed in Add/Remove programs within My Computer. Why is that?

One last thing: In the detail window of the error, the system info is listed as Windows NT 5.1. I have XP.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
171 Posts
umm..

well what i would do is just run oe 5.0 or reinstall oe 6.0 . i wouldnt download anything from the internet because then you can acually get a virus which you dont want .

so this is what i would do first

-uninstall oe 6.0
-download oe 5.0
-and i have xp as well so i know that in my add remove programs it doesnt have the option of removing ie any version. because you should never deleate that in the first place. that is your browser.
-then take a copy of aol cd 6.0 and higher and go to my computer then look at what the cd contains go to aol 6.0 or 7.0 and then what you do is there is a folder that says browsers go there and download 5.5 not 6.0 because sometimes if the browser is to advance for oe6.0 or not evanced enough so get the same version of both programs. meaning have oe5.0 and ie5.0 .

p.s. do not go to 8.0 because the browser there will be 6.0 and you want 5.0 or 5.5

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding. I don't know how to uninstall or reinstall OE without messing with IE. I know you said don't download from the internet, but when I downloaded IE 6 SP1 from the Microsoft site, it didn't give me the option to select specific components of IE because I'm running XP. It seems like an all or nothing thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.