Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have set-up my outlook to automatically receive my hotmail and gmail accounts. I have 2 questions:

1) If I delete emails from outlook will they automatically delete from my actual hotmail/gmail inbox? I have my blackberry set-up that way.

2) How do I get subfolders to show up in Outlook? In my gmail inbox I have subfolders labled for different emails to be saved. However in Outlook all my emails, even ones saved in the subfolders, are all shown in the inbox.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I don't think either will push subfolders down to your Outlook client. You can, however, just create some folders and set up the Rules Wizard to move them upon arrival.

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
1) If I delete emails from outlook will they automatically delete from my actual hotmail/gmail inbox? I have my blackberry set-up that way.
I assume you mean Outlook Express here. I use OE for Gmail. Gmail has a setting in IT'S configuration that will automatically delete whatever you "download" to OE. However, I don't use this feature as Gmail is a great way to keep back-up copies against the inevitable catastrophic hard drive crash and it's consequent data loss. This way, once you have deleted an e-mail in OE, your only copy will be gone forever as it was deleted from Gmail's server when you downloaded it.

2) How do I get subfolders to show up in Outlook? In my gmail inbox I have subfolders labled for different emails to be saved. However in Outlook all my emails, even ones saved in the subfolders, are all shown in the inbox.
I don't think this is possible, as you envision it, as it seems you are looking for a perfect & seemless interface between Gmail & OE.

However, with the use of "Message Rules" in OE, you may be able to accomplish what you want by specifying the text you want to go to which sub-folder, effectively doing the same thing by a different method. I use this as well, and have an extensive file-management structure in OE.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.