Tech Support banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just laid a CAT5E cable from my router up to the back of my garden. It is about 60m (I was told CAT5E was good for up to 100m), it is outside grade and is shielded.

My problem is that the speeds at the end of the cable are significantly lower than using a 1m cable plugged into the same router. The short cable gives 53MB download and 15MB upload where the 60m cable is giving 9.25 download and 8.74 upload.

Is this level of degradation to be expected over this length? If so, is there a way to improve the situation?

If this is not expected, any clues as to what might be the problem? I am not aware that the cable is going anywhere near any power cables - if it is near any it is only where it goes through the walls at each end of the cable.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,962 Posts
The 100 meters is correct so unless there's something major causing an obstruction, I would uninstall and put in Cat 6 with linear low-density polyethylene (LLDPE) protection, buried about 6".

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,177 Posts
What kind of cable did you use, is it solid copper or copper clad. Did you crimp your own connectors or did you buy a pre-made cable?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Solved it eventually. Feel a bit of an idiot but thought I would share it here in case anyone else has these symptoms.

I was using my own connectors. It is the first time I have ever done this as it was an absolute last resort to get decent internet speeds up to my office at the top of the garden. It took 4-5 hours over 2 days just to route the cable through some very prickly hedges.

I thought that all that was important was that the plugs should be wired up in identical sequences of the 8 colours. Wrong. The sequence of colours is important as the twisting of the cable pairs is done in such a way that you don't get cross-talk (thank you, Wikipedia). Hence the massive reduction in speed over 60m which wasn't evident on my 1m test cable plugged into the router. Did it correctly and the 50+MB download with the 1m cable is replicated in the 60m cable.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,177 Posts
Solved it eventually. Feel a bit of an idiot but thought I would share it here in case anyone else has these symptoms.

I was using my own connectors. It is the first time I have ever done this as it was an absolute last resort to get decent internet speeds up to my office at the top of the garden. It took 4-5 hours over 2 days just to route the cable through some very prickly hedges.

I thought that all that was important was that the plugs should be wired up in identical sequences of the 8 colours. Wrong. The sequence of colours is important as the twisting of the cable pairs is done in such a way that you don't get cross-talk (thank you, Wikipedia). Hence the massive reduction in speed over 60m which wasn't evident on my 1m test cable plugged into the router. Did it correctly and the 50+MB download with the 1m cable is replicated in the 60m cable.
That's what I figured, but it's an easy fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts