Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi People! About every two weeks I have to remove my mail account and reinstall. Some thing gets changed.

I have norton antivirus and it protects the incoming mail, but for no reason at all I can not connect to the server and receive mail.

I can send, but not receive. Internet explorer works fine. Does any of you fine people have any ideas? Thank You, Jim

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Hi Jim hows it going, haven't heard from you in awhile..

Lets see, do you have a firewall installed?

Or are you running your system on a proxy with the Proxy machine also running Norton, at home I have to disable my Incoming Email Scanner on my laptop because it links to the server that already does the incoming scan thing and for some reason you can only do it once or it wont let the mail through.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re

I don`t post to every thing, mostly I know nothing. I have Zone Alarm, the free one. I have no idea what proxies are.

The mail comes in through norton before I get it. I don`t know if the server has antivirus or not. I could never find out.

It works for awhile, then my user name gets changed, but also some thing else that you can`t see. Hope this can help.

Jim

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Had a client who was having the same proble....Manully run the live update....it seems like when they allow live update to go out automatically....it was ONLY getting the AV updates....we ran the manul LU and it grabbed some program updates and fixed the problem...try it out

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had that happen alot also.

-I got around it by turning off the antivirus email protection, then just manually run a check on dubious stuff... but that was how I did it.

- also, you might note the reason: ? maybe. ( note, I am no computer genious, so you should check my info..)
- Look at the "properties" of your email account to see the address of "POP3 and SMTP " .. with mine they changed every time I used the norton's update. -- This happened on manual update as well as automatic on mine.
You can just change it back, or ... something else that I cannot remember now since I chose to turn it off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NV

If you run Norton on incoming mail it will always change your incoming to pop3.norton antivirus. If you change to your ISP account name, the antivirous turns off and you lost your protection. Jim

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Jims 100% right on this one, the reason Norton changed it was so that it would run the mail through itself (sort of a mini proxy)..thats whats actually offering you your Email virus protection, if you just change it back to your ISP your bypassing Norton and therefor the protection....

Kinda like building a maximum security prison with no locks on any of the doors...it there but it isn't doing a thing... :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.