Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya
I'm probably in the wrong forum --- don't see the right one.
Can you direct me to the backup department?
Once in a dog's age I backup my address book and some of my documents. Don't know where things like my saved e-mails and that address book even are. Etc.

I'd like to develop some good habits, having had a couple of HD losses. (One should have been enough!)

So I'm looking for some sort of "easy" and "regular" way to save stuff. Can I get the essential stuff all into a couple folders? Better and easier to copy the whole HD to another one? There are no doubt a plethora of utilities for this stuff; is there a consensus on which are the best ones?

Somehow the whole subject has always daunted me. Where can I go to get undaunted?

Thanks!

Dennis

·
Registered
282 Posts
are you just trying to backup documents or the whole computer itself?

Backing up the whole computer including programs, documents and OS will require a program such as norton ghost to "duplicate" your hard drive, it will create an image of your hard drive and you can burn that onto a CD or DVD. Depending onw how big your hard drive is this can take a long time and can waste a lot of CD's or DVD's if you do this everyday which does not make sense.

Other solution is to just backup your documents (pictures, word docs, music, etc..), favorites and emails, this you can do on a daily basis and doesn't take much time. If you have an external hard drive, this would be a good solution. You can download second copy which can be found at www.secondcopy.com and have that copy all your docs at night to your external hard drive. So if something happens to your hard drive you can always reinstall windows and the programs and recover from the previous nights of data. I think this would be the best solution in your case.

Second copy is a very small program and it has a lot of options, I am using this program at home to backup my data. I am also using this at some of my clients as a third backup solution for their data. You can also setup a backup profile for each day and a folder for each of those days on the external hard drive so that you can recover data from up to a week before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will check that out.
Is there a tutorial around for more detail?
I can (and too infrequently have) figured out how to backup docs etc. But there are things like e-mail files, e-mail address book, and so forth, that I don't even know how to locate, much less copy. The Times reviewer also mentioned things like the accumulated personalization files for Dragonspeak. I don't have that, but if I think about it, there are things I ought to copy in case I have to recreate my computer.

Dennis

·
Registered
559 Posts
If you use an email address like, yahoo or hotmail your address book and emails are saved with them not you. If you use ur own.... you can most likely go to file -> export -> name it & save it.
-blitze

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.