Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help solving a problem with my G4 MAC's USB. I recently upgraded my operating system from 8.6 to 9.1 because I was having stability problems. The upgrade was successful and seemed to solve my stability problems. Unfortunately it seems to have created a new problem. Specifically I am no longer able to get any USB device that mounts a volume to work. Specifically my Imation Super Disk Drive for floppy disks and my digital camera to download pictures. Before the upgrade to OS9.1 they both worked fine and mounted the disks on the desktop, now nothing mounts. All other USB devices such as keyboard, mouse, CD burner, etc. work fine. At my work I have access to a similar G4 also running OS9.1. I copied it's extensions folder and took it home and compared it to my home computer. I copied from it to my home computer's extensions folder any extensions not present, but nothing changed. I would appreciate any help anyone can provide as I am out of ideas. Thank you, Eric . . . . .

·
Emeritus
1,131 Posts
Welcome to TSF.

What USB related extensions do you have? Do you have the USB Mass Storage Support extension?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I do and it is the most up-to-date one. Since posting someone else suggested I down load from Imation's website the USBSuperDiskDriver 33.a which fixed my problem with my Imation SuperDisk Drive. I also obtained a list of required extensions and checked and updated them but I still can't mount myy camera's memory card either with a USB cable or a card reader. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric . . . . .

·
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,606 Posts
have you installed the drivers/software for the camera? what is the camera model and the kind of memory card? also try upgradeing to 9.2.2 because os 9.1 did have some usb issues if i remember correctly.

ps, just for my own personal survay, for what reason have you stayed in os 8.6/9.1 and not upgraded to os x?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I tried that and that didn't work either. It said it couldn't find an Olympus camera at any USB connection! As for staying with OS8.6 & OS9.1, the answer is that it worked just fine for me. I have a lot of expensive programs (QuarkXPress, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) that I would have to upgrade as well and as I said everything works fine. The G4 I have has the original motherboard from when they were introduced and as a result the biggest RAM DIMM I can use is a 256MB. So the max memory I can have is one gigabyte. I will either have to upgrade eventually or perhaps buy a new MAC after the transition to Intel. As to my camera problem, so far it seems I have everything necessary for it to work but it doesn't and it did work for a long time before the upgrade. Perhaps I'll give 9.2.2 at try as I think I have a copy of it. Thanks for the help.

Eric . . . .

·
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,606 Posts
stupid question, but you have tryed it in different usb ports, have you not? if you have only had it in the same one, you could have a dead port.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.