Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ,

I would be getting a laptop pretty soon , will be using it for my tertiary education . I will need to log onto a school server/domain , hence XP home will not do . The problem is 90% of all laptops come with XP home . I therefore need to buy a set that comes with any other operating system . I have various options ....

1) Pay a premium of $100 for a XPP/win 2K upgrade pack off the shelf and do it myself .

2) Pay even more for a factory upgrade to XPP ... maybe $150 .

3) Downgrade to ME or 98SE for free ... or get a laptop with those OS like the compaq EVOs and Dells .

I will be doing basic MS office stuff , networking , gaming , digicaming , MP3ing , ... .

PLease advise ..which choice is better . I can afford the $100 , but it would be a strain ..since I'll be footing the bill on my own , with a meagre allowance .
I need stability ..coz I'm a dumb dodo with regards to computers

Thank You very much .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Head for the XP Pro/2K pack. If you claim the dumb dodo (nothing wrong with that) then you will go through hell with 9x. Even worse with ME and it sounds like an out right full blown XP Pro will cost you to much. 2000 is damn stable but not to great for gaming but since you will up grade to XP Pro you green.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Possible Solution

Save time and money get the laptop with XP Home, I use it to connect to my company server/domain and it works just fine. The thing about XP Home that makes it look like it is a network nightmare is it does not allow you to logon to the network at startup. There is no place to type the domain and your username and password and that scares people... Well anyway all the workgroups of the network you are connected to will be displayed in WinXp Home just like any other windows product, the diffrence is .. you have to type your username and password when you attempt to accsess the share or printer of any computer in the workgroup you select. Windows XPHome will allow you to accsess all the domains on the network at once. Ie my company has 4 diffrent domains and workgroups in each of them, XPhome allow complete accsess to all these domains at the same time via network panel, the only thing is you must type your username and password when attempting to use the shares on any specific computer. No big deal after the first time there is an option to save your username/password. Anyway if this seem like to much you will have to shell out for XP Pro. ME is a joke and microsoft does not offer Current support for 98 and by that I mean manual updating, no clicking on the update icon.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'm tending to agree with Tech and Bracius on this one ME is a total joke, win2k is a great school environment type of work station ( they couldn't play games even if they were allowed) I'm kind of partial to XP pro, just because XP home 1 seems a little flaky, and 2 only comes with half the customization option as Pro does. (just because it is made by M$ doesn't mean it has to look or act like it) So if you can afford it go XP, if not it's up to you just stay away from ME!!!!! (lol...that can be taken differently if you hadn't read whay I said before that:D)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.