Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

my friends laptop wont load windows, it just has the xp loading screen that goes forever. And to top it off my friend cant find the recovery cds. How can possibly save his personal files on the computer. THen i will just wipe hte disk and reload the operating system.

Jeremy

·
Registered
161 Posts
Have you tried booting to either safe mode or last known good config?

·
UK
1,142 Posts
Have you tried what is suggested above (access by holding down the f8 key from start-up)

If you can get into safe-mode, run the AV and Spybot and Ad-Aware SE.

Also, roll back or remove any new drivers.

If that doesn't work, you might be able to do a repair on windows using Recovery Console - you will need an XP CD (it doesn't have to be the original)

If you have the original XP CD, you may be able to do a 'Repair Install' (not the same as above) of windows - which in theory should leave the data in place.

Or, if there seems no chance of recovering windows, you may be able to rescue some data by putting the drive on as slave on another machine and copying data over - use an AV on all data asap, as viruses may be transferred too.

How far does windows load before cycling again?

Is the machine shutting down and restarting?

Has any new hardware just been added?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried to start in safe mode. It is also dead.

I have a xp cd (professional) but computer has home installed on. I have gone to the repair screen. It asks me what OS to repair. I hit 1 cause its the only OS on the computer. Then it asks me for the admin password. THere isnt one set according to the owner. i hit enter and it brings me to the c:\windows prompt. Now what do i do?

Windows loads to the screen with the big windows logo and hte slider bar below it just keeps running across for forever.

·
Registered
28 Posts
[This forum does not support password hacking, therefore link removed]

Go there, try to burn that anyway possible. it'll crack your password. You could always just do an IDE chain (hook up 2 Hard Drives together) and just copy your needed files onto his hard drive, but the linuxlive cd may save you some time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry i am a bit confused here. Is the problem that i dont have the right password? Is that why its just going to c:\windows after i hit enter at the password screen?

Or should i just forget this and hook up the HD as an external slave and transfer the files i need and just reload the operating system from scratch after?

·
Registered
28 Posts
OH! I'm sorry. You have the right password. Durr. Anyways, you need to type something along the lines of "Help" or "/?" (without quotes) to get started.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well it has now chugged along to 59% but that last 9% has taken 3 or 4 hours. If its a fault hard drive is there anything i can do to try and save the data on it?

thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i let it run all night and i guess it chugged itwas way through. It says chkdsk found and fixed one ore more errors on the volume. THen states the volume size and free space. And now i am back c:\windows.

What should i do now. Should i restart and see if windows will start now?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes.
Then backup your data, and buy a new hard drive
This is probably the best advice. DO NOT run the recovery CD on the old drive until you backup-up the data on it. The recovery CD will reformat and then re-install the OS to bring it back to its original state when it was first bought.

Mike

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ya no luck. looks like its loading windows. It gets past the windows grafic screen and then hits a fatal error and i get the blue screen of death.

Guess i will try the hard drive salvage program you posted above

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
This thread will be closed. The original poster has stated that he/she is not needing additional assistance. If the original poster needs this thread re-opened please pm a moderator.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.