Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
full story. :D
trying to use oracleVM to get a working xp virtual machine. but despite following the youtube tutorial here to the letter.

so despite following this properly, when i start the virtual machine i get a message "no bootable medium" and it can't boot. so i'm at a loss here. help pls.

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,369 Posts
full story. :D
trying to use oracleVM to get a working xp virtual machine. but despite following the youtube tutorial here to the letter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpRTGtCmZUs

so despite following this properly, when i start the virtual machine i get a message "no bootable medium" and it can't boot. so i'm at a loss here. help pls.
What is your boot source? Did you create an iso image of a bootable Windows XP CD or are you booting the VM straight from a physical XP CD loaded into a physical CD drive?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well according to the guide, i think i portioned off a space on my hard drive to be used as the hard drive for the virtual machine. which labeled as coming from "Drive E" but that's a problem as on my computer "Drive E" is the disc reader. so i don't know what's up wtih that. i really just don't know how to use the program. and no, i didn't use a bootable windows xp CD. i don't have one of those. this would be so much easier on a windows 7 machine as microsoft has a thing called XP mode but this is only for windows 7. unless you guys have a way i can use that on windows 10.

·
Registered
40,770 Posts
The Oracle Virtual Box creates a virtual area to load an Operating System on. Now, you need to provide the Operating Systems Install Media. If you want to install XP, then put in an XP CD, or whatever OS you want to have a virtual machine of (ie) Linux, Windows 98, 7, 8 or whatever. So, if you don't have an XP CD, you can't load XP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.