Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People,

With my old PC, I had the OS (Win98SE) optimized for digital audio production (multitracking, processing, etc.), with which I do a lot of work.

Now, I have a new machine; & am running Windows XP. I had assumed there was also a set of standard optimization settings to keep XP running lean on a PC, as well; & I did find a couple.

But...

...My main method for configuring the old PC, just prior to opening audio apps (& this was of course after all the tweaks had been performed), was to: 1) Turn off all obvious background apps (e.g., anti virus, diagnostics, etc.); & then: 2) Enter Task Manager, to turn off everything but IAMAPP.EXE & EXPLORER.EXE. This method always gave me a clean machine...improving audio performance & providing consistent; & dropout & noise free recording.

Wanted to basically utilize the same method with XP. But then I hit the new "Task Manager". Man, what is all that? I appreciate the usage metering tools, which I know will help in my fine-tuning once I learn the ropes. But:

1) How can I determine what should stay & what should go, with a list that long?

2) Once I know, can it (Task Manager) be customized, so that I can return to the same "lean" configuration when I need it?

Thanks in advance,

mark4man

·
Registered
187 Posts
Goto the Processes tab. Click User Name to sort by User Name.

Anything listed next to your user name except explorer and taskmgr(the program you are in) can be closed. Right click what you want to close and click end process.

I am pretty sure that my antivirus runs as a System Process and thus cannot be closed normally(Norton) but I can right click it in the system tray and temporarilly disable it.

What I have done for some people(Gamers) is create a second User where nothing starts up and one where the normal background apps start up. That way they log off of one user and log into the other and all the background apps are gone plus they have a separate clean desktop and such. Can be very useful.

Takes some tweaking in the registry though to get the correct apps starting up under the right users. If you want the info for this let me know.

~GICodeWarrior :specs:

·
Registered
187 Posts
This is pretty touchy so be careful to follow my directions exactly. If you have any difficulty reply back before proceeding! I am not responsible if you mess something up. Sorry for the disclaimer, but it is necessary.

1. Open the registry editor. Click Start > Run. Type: "regedit" Hit enter.

2. BACKUP THE REGISTRY. Goto File > Export. In the Range box be sure to select "All"! Type in a name and save it somewhere where you will be able to find it later. Click "Save".

3. Export the following range "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run". Click File > Export and in the range field type: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run". BE SURE TO ENTER IT EXACTLY AS SHOWN ABOVE. Once again enter a descriptive name and save it somewhere you will remember. Click "Save".

4. Open the Registry file for editing. Find the file that you just saved. Right-click it and click "Edit".

This is where things get a little tricky.
Remember once again if you have any questions reply back before proceeding.

5. Redirect the information back into the current user. First make sure that you are logged on as the user that you want to have all the background apps as default. (You will later create a new user that will be "clean") The third line in the file should read:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

This line will be slightly changed to move the global startup items into the startup of only the current user. Change the line to:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

Close and save the file.

Up until this point no permanent changes have been made. If you have any questions reply back before proceeding.

6. Reinsert the information back into the registry. Double-click the file that you just changed. It will confirm your action. Click "Yes".

7. Remove duplicate information. Open the registry again (Refer to step one). Navigate, using the left hand pane, to the folder "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run". Double check that you are in the right folder because there is an identical one in current user that you do not want to touch. When the "Run" folder specified above is selected there should be information in the right hand pane. Right click each line and click delete EXCEPT for the one that says "(Default)". As you delete each one it will ask you to confirm. Click "Yes".

You have now completed the most difficult part. I will prepare the steps for the next more simpler part for you once I get some Z's. :sleep:

~GICodeWarrior

·
Registered
187 Posts
8. Open My Computer and navigate to this folder "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

9. Move everything in that folder to "C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" where "Your Name Here" is the account name that you want the startups under.

10. Create a new user under the control panel > User Accounts.

The new user should have a "clean" startup.

Hope that helps you out!

~GICodeWarrior :thmbup:

PS. You might want to print out a copy of these instructions in case something you install later puts itself in the all user/local machine startup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.