Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an idea i had and it should be possible in theory, my sound card can resample stereo (2channels) into all speakers in my 5.1 setup. i.e if i play mp3s they play on all speakers not just though the front 2, im sure this is done through a dolby po logic codec, if it can decode stereo audio fom the pc to 5.1 it should be able to also do this for external audio connected via line in or optical in, right?? ok my ps2 has an optical out port which can be connected to special 5.1 speakes made for the ps2. shouldn't it be possible to connect the ps2 optical out to my sound cad optical in, resample it on the fly while playing it out through the sound card again. i know it sounds like a lot of bother but watching dvds is bad due to my tvs crappy speakers. Any thoughts??

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Don't know what a PS2 is, but I suppose it's a DVD or laserdisk player. Yes, you ought to be able to take its opto out, and put it into your soundcard's opto in; both should be running the consumer "S/PDIF" protocol.

From there, it rather depends on whether your soundcard can provide a full-duplex monitoring function that lets you simultaneously play back as output, what it's seeing on input. Not all soundcards can do that, but one that's advanced enough to provide opto inputs might.

Your best bet is simply to hook it up and try it. Nice thing is, you can't blow anything out when you use opto. I got a couple 5m Toslink opto cables mailorder from Santa Barbara Audio 3 years back, they're flimsy but they work. Radio Shack also has Toslink cables and they have a website.

-clintfan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont know whast a Ps2 is???????? playstation2. the sound card is top of the range, but the optic out of the ps2 is a different than the sound card input. is this normal like a usb a-b cable? i have another solution anyway, i got a graphics card with t.v out so i play the dvds on the pc, which is connected to the good speakers, and output the video to the tv via tv out. Do you know of any progams which could do the 2channel to 6channel remix on the fly, not nesecarily for opto in. cheers for the help

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Oh, yeah... I guess I have heard of that... duuhh! If the connectors are different, then I'd doubt they will be compatible. I think I understand what you do now, and what you are trying to do, but I don't think I can help you with this, so I won't waste any more of your time. Sorry,

-clintfan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.