Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't heard much of these til I was looking to buy an AMD processor...are they AMD's version of Intel's Celeron? Although I thought that was the Duron...anyway, what would you compare their speeds to? And what's better, the Thoroughbred or Palermo? If you have any recommendations, please link.

I'm buying from Newegg.com, and I can't really afford to spend over $70 on it. I was going to get either the 2600+ or 2200+.. I'm getting a motherboard too. Right now I have a 1.8 ghz crappy Celeron, so I'm thinking almost anything will be faster/better.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
There are two different kinds of CPUs called Semprons: the old socket A CPUs which used to be called Athlon XPs, and the newer socket 754 CPUs which are really just cut down versions of the Athlon 64. You definitely only need to consider the socket 754 models. This page can give you a general idea of their relative speed just at games. Moving from a 128K L2 cache to a 256K cache doesn't help the Sempron's performance very much in most cases so it's fine to get the cheaper 128K L2 cache versions. I'd stick to either an nForce 3 (AGP) or nForce4 (PCI-Express) motherboard. They tend to be pretty good when it comes to compatibility issues.

·
Registered
604 Posts
UncleMacro is exactly right on what he said I just have a couple other things to mention.

Get a semprons 64 not sempron. They dont give any performance improvements BUT I check the prices at newegg and there a $0-$5 difference between the semprons and the semprons 64. All the semprons 64 mean is the 64 bit instructions are enable. This would allow you to use a 64-bit operating system if you ever decided to do so in the future.

The following is my personal recomendations

AMD Sempron 64 2600+ Palermo $65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104249
ASUS K8N Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 250 $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131512

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.