Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A P2 233 PC. WINDOWS 95

I RECENTLY HAD PROBLEMS LOGGING ONTO THE NET . IT WOULD CONNECT WITH MY BROWSER BUT WHEN I WENT TO SEARCH IT WOULD DISCONNECT MY MODEM.

I CONTACTED MY INTERNET SUPPLIER WHO ADVISED ME THAT IT MAY BE A MEMORY PROBLEM.

I REALISED THAT I HAD RECENTLY COPIED 70 JPEG FILES FROM MY CAMERA ONTO THE PC.

I TRIED TO USE A ZIP DRIVE UNIT FROM WORK CONNECTED TO A PARALLEL PORT ON MY PC TO DOWN LOAD THE FILES BUT I COULD NOT GET IT TO WORK.

IN THE END I REMOVED THE JPEGS ONTO FLOPPY.

THIS SEEMED TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM . I COULD ACCESS MY E MAIL BUT STILL COULD NOT BROWSE.

I TURNED OFF MY PC 50% HAPPY.

WHEN I TURNED IT ON AGAIN IT STOPPED AT F2 TO ENTER SETUP.

THEN IT CAME UP

OPERATING SYSTEM MISSING

AFTER TRAWLING THE NET IT WAS SUGGESTED THAT I INSERT A BOOT DISK INTO THE A DRIVE AND FROM THE PROMPT TYPE SYS C:

THIS DID NOT WORK AND IT WAS SUGGESTED I TRY FDISK

THIS CAME UP AS NONE FOUND.

WHEN THE PC TRIED TO BOOT FROM THE A DRIVE IT GOT AS FAR AS STARTING WINDOWS 95

THEN ABORTED.

I WOULD DEARLY LIKE TO RESOLVE THIS MYSELF AND NOT HAVE TO TAKE IT TO A DEALER.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums GED............:D

Do you have any idea how old the hard drive is?

S

·
0 Posts
Well my first suggestion would be to go to the hard drive manufacturers website. Then download their diagnostic software that they offer and see if you can scan the drive............:D

·
Registered
336 Posts

the A: drive?

what are you trying to do?...reinstall windows? reboot to the last working configuration?

seems like I read something years ago about zip drives possibly causing this problem by changing drive letters or hiding the C: drive. Can you boot into Safe Mode? You can find out how with a google search. If you can, try deleting the Zip drive in MY COMPUTER and make sure your OS is the C: drive...reboot. I'm not sure if that was the fix but it was something similar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried to boot from the A drive after reading about this problems on various web sites. I cannot get as far as the C: prompt and cannot get as far as my computer.

Essentially when I boot (No disk in the A) it only goes as far as

Presss F2 to enter setup Press F1 to continue

when I continue (F1) it shows " operating " system missing"

I cannot start in safe mode either.

Some one has suggested that this is a win 95 problem and I have lost the Partition ????

This is getting dangerously near rocket science for me :)

If I can reboot to any configuration I will be happy.

I also tried to boot from the CD drive with a windows 95 disk in it. But to no avail.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

·
0 Posts
And what's up with the I collect old pistols or when in doubt run in circles scream and shout!
Those are known as signatures and not meant to be a reply to the question. If you looked at all of our Posts then you would have noticed that they all have them.

Instead of coming here and flaming the thread why don't you inject your proposal as to what you think may correct the problem.

S

·
0 Posts
GED

If you can find out who made it there are tests that can be run to see if the drive is OK.

·
Registered
23 Posts
GED said:
I HAVE A P2 233 PC. WINDOWS 95

I RECENTLY HAD PROBLEMS LOGGING ONTO THE NET . IT WOULD CONNECT WITH MY BROWSER BUT WHEN I WENT TO SEARCH IT WOULD DISCONNECT MY MODEM.

I CONTACTED MY INTERNET SUPPLIER WHO ADVISED ME THAT IT MAY BE A MEMORY PROBLEM.

I REALISED THAT I HAD RECENTLY COPIED 70 JPEG FILES FROM MY CAMERA ONTO THE PC.

I TRIED TO USE A ZIP DRIVE UNIT FROM WORK CONNECTED TO A PARALLEL PORT ON MY PC TO DOWN LOAD THE FILES BUT I COULD NOT GET IT TO WORK.

IN THE END I REMOVED THE JPEGS ONTO FLOPPY.

THIS SEEMED TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM . I COULD ACCESS MY E MAIL BUT STILL COULD NOT BROWSE.

I TURNED OFF MY PC 50% HAPPY.

WHEN I TURNED IT ON AGAIN IT STOPPED AT F2 TO ENTER SETUP.

THEN IT CAME UP

OPERATING SYSTEM MISSING

AFTER TRAWLING THE NET IT WAS SUGGESTED THAT I INSERT A BOOT DISK INTO THE A DRIVE AND FROM THE PROMPT TYPE SYS C:

THIS DID NOT WORK AND IT WAS SUGGESTED I TRY FDISK

THIS CAME UP AS NONE FOUND.

THEN ABORTED.

I WOULD DEARLY LIKE TO RESOLVE THIS MYSELF AND NOT HAVE TO TAKE IT TO A DEALER.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ive been worked out in Romania intoa service computer and we deal with low computer processors like urs , u hafta move into ur setup computer and SETUP ur hdd drive seems u dont have problem , go put ur hdd in setup then press ALT+B .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go into Setup with F2

Sounds like you should try going into the Setup F2, and go into your IDE devices and auto-detect the hard drive. Save this setting and your PC may boot up if it finds the drive you specified. If this works, then I'd have to assume the battery on your motherboard (small round, size of a quarter, like a watch battery) is dead and your PC is "forgetting" what kind of hard drive you have (along with the date and time). Go to Radio Shack and replace the battery (if this works). Try it. Let us know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
merlin said:
People, lets keep the focus on the problem, ok :D

The moderator its always right :) well my advice its to setup hdd to auto if he can elsewere entering setup and press ctrl+b after he setup his hdd :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but is it acting wierd as far as GETTING TO the disk? IE, sitting silent for ahwile with the disk light on trying to access it, disk starting and stopping during a read or write, "thrashing" (a loud clanking from the hard disk, usually a sign of certain doom), etc.? If not, you can likely do a low level format (using a tool that the manufacturer made, found on their site) and it may be fine for another five years or so. You may want to first try to reformat and reinstall to that disk. If that don't work, try to re-fdisk the disk and then reformat. If that don't work, then low-level format it. I think Seagate DiskWizzard will usually work for most disks, but even they warn against trying it on a non Seagate disk. I haven't tried it on a non-Seagate disk yet, but I will here in a minute. I'll let you know whather to go ahead or if you're forced to use the kind of whoever made your disk. ...then again, you might can try to install Linux. That will usually give you an idea how the disk is behaving to a certain extent. Suse Linux is pretty cheap at CompUSA.;)

While the battery is a definate possibility to the problem, CMOS will usually warn you of a dead battery somehow and then will often auto-type all its disks, so it will usually work even if the CMOS battery is gone.

In case you didn't know: A good way to figure out what kind of drive you have is to look at the label. It's supprising how many people have never seen a hard disk. ...then again, Linux will tell you as it comes up if you watch closely enough.:D

I'm not exactly pressing Linux, though I may sound like it. I often do press Linux though I am not good at it yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.