Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble with my Millineum (again). When I boot up sometimes it will tell me Operating System not found. I had someone tell me that it was the Motherboard going bad (heaven forbid), and another person told me that it was something in the bootup sequence. Sometimes it takes me several times to get it to boot up right and sometimes I have to leave it sit for a long time. Sometimes, it will do that if the computer freezes up or some program stops working, and I have to re-boot the computer. The last few days it has been working ok, but figure it will do it again, so need to know what to do if it does. I know nothing about the bios.
Does anyone have any idea what it might be??? Otherwise it works ok (for a Gateway). Couldn't resist the dig.
Susan

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's not good

Those are classic symptoms of a damaged hard disk.

Run scandisk - Programs/Accessories/System Tools.

Select the "Thorough" test.

It may take several hours to run. When it's finished, if you have more than a couple of sectors designated "B" replace your hard disk drive.

If it runs cleanly, re-install Windows ME.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
computer problem.

Thanks for the info Jon. Yesterday morning it went out completely so it's going to have to have the hard drive replaced. I did do the scandisk and defrag on it and found nothing, but the guy that repairs my computer suggested I go ahead and get it replaced as it will probably do it again if he just re-loads my millineum. He said it sounds like the hard drive also, so it's in for repairs and I'm using my husband's computer.
Thanks.
Susan

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Hello Susan, welcom to the forums....I dont know about you but Im not very fond of ME...If I ever see it on the street, Im gonna kick it... :D I would switch to XP (if you want to stay with windows)....or switch to Linux...

(sorry for butting in..just had to....)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Millineum sucks

Yea Merlin, Millineum doesn't like me either and last week I had to have the hard drive replaced and just got my computer back. He did me a favor and instead of re-loading Millineum he put Win98SE on here. Something fried my old hard drive. The guy that fixed it couldn't get any of the information off my old drive. That stinks. This is a better system anyhow. My husband has 98SE on his and has never had problems and my son has 98SE on his computer (which by the way is also a Gateway) and has never had problems with it, and I have since day 1 when I took it out of the box. Oh well. At least it's fixed now. Glad of that.
Susan

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
yeah

well, in my own opinion windows 98se is the smoothest easiest way to go. it seems to fly on older systems and it absolutely rocks on a new one.

and this brings to mind a simple question.

i constsantly see people here using the term "K.I.S.S." meaning=keep it simple stupid. now, i am just sorta curious, how in the hell does windows xp follow along with this advice? i think keeping it simple would be to use something that works, and not jump across rivers and cliffs to be able to do things that don't matter or that you don't need to do. building a new system with 98se on it would be keeping it simple. this i could understand. but what is the big thing about XP? why have i never needed it? why is it that i sit here perfectly content with my 98se? am i just so far stuck into the age of not being able to do anything that i cannot see all the things that are out there to do?

LOL, yeah right.
i see the things xp can do that 98 cannot, and i dont want those things on my system anyways.
i think XP was simply a way they could get people to throw away CD's that they had paid good money for just so they would buy something else, and then have to buy the old one again when the new one isnt what it was supposed to be.

i know they didnt trick me :)

~BoB~

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Windows XP vs Win98SE

Bob,
You're right about Win98SE. I've never had XP so not sure what it has that 98 or ME doesn't have, but it takes up a LOT more space on your hard drive than 98 does. I have a 13 gig hd now but my husband only has a 2 gig hd so he doesn't have a lot of room. I like the extra space. Then if I want to download a vid or whatever I have the room to do it. I like to download Macgyver and Stargate episodes. That was part of the stuff I lost when my drive fried. Oh well, can get them again.
Anyhow, give me simple anytime. I like it better.
Susan

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hehe

well, i feel that way about windows ME also, and ill tell you that i tried to use win 2000 pro, and it was alot of the same thing. so i just simply like 98se. and i will use it untill i need to move on. i repeat, "need".

(as far as this goes, i would even use win95 if it wasnt so ugly. and i actually LIKED win3.1.1)

~BoB~

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Win98

Yea, Win3.1 was my first system that I used and I really liked it. Then I upgraded to 95 and then 98 and then ME. Should have stayed where I was to begin with. heheehe. No, you can't find enough programs that work on 3.1 anymore. I figure that 98 is just about in the middle, and that's where I intend to stay. Someday like you, when I "need" to upgrade I might get XP. Not sure yet. I've heard there are still bugs in it, and I want to wait till the bugs are worked out before I think about it. I think there are still bugs in ME from the way it acts.
Susan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.