Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Hope someone out there can help me.
My electricity cut out while i was shutting down my pc and now it won't start properly. its get to windows xp loading screen and then it gives the option to start safe mode etc. I have tried all of the options including last known configuration and nothing has worked.
I don't mind restoring it to factory settings to get it working again but i really need to keep my documents. I have loads of pictures from my wedding day and my mobile phone that i will never get again and i'm heartbroken.

I've got some basic computer skills. i also have a laptop and was wondering if there was anyway i could connect it to the pc and move or copy my documents folder to the laptop so that i can restore operating system

my pc came with windows pre installed.

hope somebody can help :)

pam

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
Easiest way is to take the drive out and temporarily attach to a working pc ot harvest data . . works best if you attach it to the Secondary channel on the working pc . . the one with CD/DVD drives

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
o.k. I will try that. Do I just connect the lead going into the cd drive on the working pc into the hard disk from my damaged machine?

Thanks
Pam

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
Yep . . no need to mount the disc . . just connect power and data cables and be sure to not let it touch anything else in the case

·
Registered
28 Posts
doesnt the HD have to be connect to the motherboard using the blue cable (dunno what its called) as well thought, didnt think Cdrom drive has that... i havr the same problem atm and am trying to sort it out.
Was gonna just buy a new HD (need one anyway) and put that in and use the other as a slave but i dunno what HD to buy (IDE, SATA etc) and dunno how to find out what i need without being actually logged onto computer ( which i cant do) all i kno is its a dell dimension 8300 if anyone can help with that? ty.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
doesnt the HD have to be connect to the motherboard using the blue cable (dunno what its called)

Only if that drive is to be used as the boot drive, which in this case it is not . . it will just be available to salvage data from.

Was gonna just buy a new HD (need one anyway) and put that in and use the other as a slave but i dunno what HD to buy (IDE, SATA etc) and dunno how to find out what i need without being actually logged onto computer ( which i cant do) all i kno is its a dell dimension 8300 if anyone can help with that? ty.
The 8300 may have SATA drives . . look at the cable connecting it to the motherboard . . flat and wide = PATA (IDE) . . thin = SATA

·
Registered
28 Posts
thanks for the info... My HD is a SATA -in that case- but the one im trying to use it as a slave with is an IDE... does that really matter considering connecting it via the cdrom? ill go try it now anyway but thanks for the info :)

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
thanks for the info... My HD is a SATA -in that case- but the one im trying to use it as a slave with is an IDE... does that really matter considering connecting it via the cdrom? ill go try it now anyway but thanks for the info :)
Nope . . just disconnect the cd/dvd drive, plug that cable into the hard drive and attach a power connector and you are good to go . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.