Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. I'm in the process of building a new pc (using windows Vista) and have the intention of turning my old PC into a linux station to use for programming, as well as perhaps using it as a server for playing games at lans every now and then (wouldn't be the best server, but hell, better then running it on a pc thats playing hte game... see my sig for the specs of the soon to be linux PC)

According to the which distro test the best one for me is OpenSUSE which is funny because when i mentioned the idea at the PC store the guy recommended OpenSUSE to me there also :p

Anyway i guess what i wanted to ask was for the general pro's and con's of using linux over windows, mainly aimed towards the openSUSE platform.

Likewise thanks to my craptop dying on me, i'm soon going to be reformatting the thing. since i now have a vista64 disk, i'll probably attempt to dual boot linux and vista on my laptop. while having my two desktops individual. (one vista one linux)

I just wanted to know if anyone had any general advice on how difficult it is to set up openSUSE and any additional programs i may want to get for it. I'm a complete linux newbie so please don't be too harsh in your answers :p (fairly good understanding of windows. no understanding of macs)

·
Premium Member
19,892 Posts
opensuse is not a bad choice for beginners. It is easy to installed. However, when looking for help you may get some flack for using it since microsoft is involved. My first linux install was suse. I used it for about a year.

another easy one to use is Ubuntu and Kbuntu. They are basically the same. Just different gui. At this time, its one of the most popular ones. You may find it easer to get answers for when you have problems. The best thing about this one is you can install it within windows like any other program. Which means you do not have to worry about partitions like you would with the others. Also if you dont like it, you can uninstall it using add/remove.

another easy install is xandros. It dont have the latest stuff but is one of the most stable. Its the main one I use now. This is another one that microsoft bought into.

you can download a live cd version where you do not have to install. They will run from the cd so you can see if you like it or not.

Check out the sticky at the top of the forum where you can take a test to see which linux distro is the best for you. In addition, you can get more info about the different distros from http://distrowatch.com/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.