Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, lately my explorer has been opening new windows when I double-click on a folder.

In the folder options I have it set to open in the current window. I tried to cycle it(select open in new window, then back to current window) but it still opens in a new window.. Any ideas as to why this is happening? I am certain its something I (or my cat while I was away, as she likes the keyboard) did.

Windows 7 7600, latest updates

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Open Folder Options from the tools and check that the option to open each
folder in its own window is not checked on the general tab. If it isn't, try
checking it, click apply/ok then reboot and uncheck it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mentioned above I tried that, hasn't worked. Dunno where else there might be a way to fix it.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I'm on XP at the moment, so I can't check if 7 has that setting.
Also in folder options, see if there's a box "open new folders in a separate process". If so, uncheck it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any other suggestions? Would really hate to have to reinstall windows :p

Wish I knew what it was I did to cause this =\ Should learn to close my laptop when i leave the room(cat likes to type)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, lately my explorer has been opening new windows when I double-click on a folder.

In the folder options I have it set to open in the current window. I tried to cycle it(select open in new window, then back to current window) but it still opens in a new window.. Any ideas as to why this is happening? I am certain its something I (or my cat while I was away, as she likes the keyboard) did.

Windows 7 7600, latest updates
- copy the values data of COMPUTER\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\command : (Default) and DelegateExecute to

COMPUTER\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\explore\command respectively but delete the word /separate from de default value and, in case, DelegateExecute does not exists create and paste the value of DelegateExecute from the Open Key.

At the end, You will have the following value in the key COMPUTER\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\explore\command :

(Default) -> "%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /idlist,%I,%L" .

DelegateExecute -> value of "COMPUTER\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\explore\command\DelegateExecute"

After that, the parameter works ok, means, if you select open each folder in the same window or open in its own windows, works as should be.

:wave:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Neither worked... I have installed Win7 on another partition and guess ill start moving stuff over to the other one :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Uninstalled everything since this problem started happening. Sadly, I cant do a system restore(I am thinking due to a critical update). I will try a more recent restore point.. But ShellExView hasnt helped.. Seems its something 3rd party causing it(others have noticed things like drivers causing this issue)

·
Registered
1 Posts
i reinstalled windows 7 due to this problem.. but again i got this problem since yesterday. yesterday i searched for a folder in windows explorer and open that folder in new window.. then only i got this problem again.. any guess?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I must say i wish i were there. I have been doing this for 20 years (retired a year ago at 46 yrs old) and i have seen a lot. But not this! :4-dontkno Probably the only way to find out what it is; install win 7 clean than install one patch, driver, program at a time and test after each install. Or you may be able to work backwards and un install one at a time. Do you have Office installed? ANY programs off a torrent site? Just for giggles, install MalewareBytes and SUPERantispyware and run them...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.