Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i need to know how to install the in-kernel or open source driver for my Broadcom wireless card on my Acer Aspire One D250 netbook .

·
Registered
127 Posts
First, determine which Broadcom wifi card you have as is done here

by using the command
PHP:
$ lspci -vnn | grep 14e4
Then, depending on which card you have and which linux distro is being used, download the drivers and/or firmware.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, determine which Broadcom wifi card you have as is done here

by using the command
PHP:
$ lspci -vnn | grep 14e4
Then, depending on which card you have and which linux distro is being used, download the drivers and/or firmware.
ok i did the code and got this:

Code:
Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
[14e4:4315] (rev 01)
Now i went to this website Broadcom.com - 802.11 Linux STA driver however after reading the readme.txt file it says this driver is the same as doing yum install kmod-wl . which is what i did to get WiFi working to begin with however now i need the open source drivers .

Im using Fedora 16 XFCE build

thanks for the info though i'll keep searching around google .

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Start with looking at these two articles for Fedorasolved.com. Getting Started with Wireless, and Broadcom Linux STA Driver.

Cheers!

Hey good friend wmorri :D i love your nickname every time i read it i think it says "worrmi" xP

I visited both forums , and from my readings and experiments , the wl driver is binary only NOT open source . I need the open source drivers . Thanks though :D

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There might not be an opensource option for that wireless card. If you want you can have a look at b43 Linux Wireless. They might have an option for you.
thanks , confirmed they DO NOT have open source drivers for Broadcom wireless card . Efff . How do i install kernals onto a live boot from my flash drive ? i'll use my beast of a laptop then . but i refuse to install linux . so how can i upgrade the kernals while running a live boot ? and i have no flash drive which is big enough to support installing linux to flash drive , i lost my 32gb flash drive :'(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.