Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I download a floppy from another computer with windows me.
My computer has windows xp and keeps saying it needs to
know the program to open the floppy. I tried to find the info
on microsoft.com but no joy.
Please help!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
By telling you are downloading a floppy, I assume you read a floppy made on another PC.
So you want to access data written by the other PC ?
What is Windows Explorer saying when you click on A: ?
Does it show any files, can you click on one of the files and is Windows responding with "cannot find associated program" to open the file ?
IOW what kind of files does that floppy contain ?

gr

·
Registered
376 Posts
First, click into My Computer. Right click on your floppy drive, and check that floppy for viruses. We don't want any suprises.

Second, choose Windows Explorer to open the floppy. You should then be able to view the floppy's contents. (Don't get confused by Internet Explorer - you do NOT want to choose Internet Explorer!)

If it still won't open, it's most likely a conflict in the way XP and ME format disks.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
it seems to me that what has happened, is that this person put a file onto a disk.

and now when they try to open the file on their own computer, the OS wants to know what to open it with.

this might be due to there being a program that is needed to read the file, and it was present on the other machine, and is not present on the machine they are trying to open it with.

what is the full name of the file?

including the extension.

if we know the extension, we can figure out what is needed to open it.

~BoB~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.