Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

I am hosting a web site using Apache 1.3 (started with version 2) running on a WinXP Pro machine. The problem is that I can view my webpage using http://localhost or 127.0.0.1 but people on the outside can't view my page.

I'm running WinXP Pro with a xDSL connection (SWBELL isp) through a Linksys router. I have port 80 forwarded in my router. I'm running Apache 1.3 at the moment. I don't have a FireWall enabled. I can use my internet connection without problems.

This is a new installtion of XP. I originally had Apache version 2 installed and it was doing the same thing so I thought I'd try Apache version 1.3 since I have previously used it successfully hosting this page ( before the reinstalltion of XP). When I installed Apache 1.3 and used my old conf.http file, Others still have the same problem accessing my webpage.

:confused: I am stuck. I don't know what else to consider. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Sounds like your forwarding isn't functional, are you sure that's done correctly. Have you eliminated the router to see if everything else is working?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update...

Okay, here's what I now know about my problem.

1. We were able to get ti my web page BYPASSING the Linksys Router.

2. Did some packet sniffing while USING the router and Apache received the GETs and sent Responses. The end user never recevied Apache's responses and ended up just resending the requests until timeout.

3. I've used this same setup previously - Same PC, Network Card, DSL, Same Apache version, same webpage. The only thing I think is different this time around (after a clean XP Pro install) is that I have SP1 installed. As far as I know that is the only difference.
I also had dual boot and was running the same setup under Win98. I still have my old 98 setup but currently can't access it.

Other than that I can't think of anything else that's different.

BTW my Linksys firmware is at version 1.39 and I know there are newer releases I just haven't updated. (hasn't been necessary)

Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks All!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
A friend of mine had a problem with his Linksys router a while back - turns out it was the default MTU setting in the Linksys router is 1500, and it was causing pages to get "stuck". Changing the MTU setting in the router to 1492 fixed the problem.

You can diagnos this by hooking the router back up, and putting a blank HTML page, with the word "test" on it, and having someone try and access it - small pages like that should go through where a page with more information on it will choke the connection.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I believe this is an issue with some routers, they add on 8 bytes, and then the packets over 1500 bytes get rejected by the receiver. My SMC doesn't do that, so I haven't researched it more. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey, I'm new to Apache and I run v1.3 for Windows. I have a somewhat similar problem. If I am the one trying to access my site than I must type in http://localhost but anyone else can type in my address http://braindeadworkshop.dhs.org </ad> :winkgrin:

Here's the part I'm a bit iffy on, (one of my friends that helps out with the site set this up) we had to go and get a site that would reconize our address and redirect the request to my ip.

If this somewhat helps you let me know cause I can get more details for you if you need them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Resolved...

Thanks for all of the replys. Sorry it's taken me so long to respond.

I ended up testing some more. We set up packet sniffers on both ends and determined that my Apache server was getting responses through the Linksys Router and responding with a 200 which means everything is okay as far as Apache is concerned. The problem was that the user never received a response so he kept sending the request over until timeout. BTW - Everything worked fine when the DSL Modem was used without a router.
Since the Port Forwarding was working for inbound traffic but not passing outbound traffic we figured it had to be in the router somewhere. I was running Firmware release 1.39. I knew there was a newer release of Firmware but initially I didn't think I needed to upgrade since I was at one time Hosting a Webpage with the same setup. The only difference that I know of is that I reinstalled Windows XP Professional and put SP1 on this time. Anyway, I upgraded the Linksys Firmware to release 1.44 and everything started working. Since I didn't know about the MTU stuff at the time I don't recall what it was with Firmware version 1.39 but on 1.44 the MTU setting is Enabled with a value of 1492. Maybe that's what fixed it? Anyway it's working now.

My next problem is --- I reinstalled Apache 2 and I can't seem to get it working again. I may save that one for a rainy weekend. I've since put Apache 1.3 back on and everything works fine.
Thanks All :winking:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.