Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a DELL Dimenson 4400 - DSL - Linksys card - Westell 327 modem. Whenever I received an incoming call the internet grinds to a stop. After several minutes it will come back to life. I do not have call waiting.
I made a new installation of XP home - reflashed the BIOS - all phones have filters - moved the subwoofer away - all the Verizon boilerplace remedies but still this problem persists. Changed NIC cards to Intel and then to CNET and back with no effect.
Modem? Noise of the line. Birds on the roof? Any ideas.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
First suggestion is to isolate your DSL modem and connect directly to the NID outside to see if the DSL gets knocked off line with an incoming call. This will make sure nothing in your house, either wiring or telephone device, is a problem.

Don't know your Westell modem, but you need to see if you can gather the line stats from it. Westell has a good utility for the 2100/2200 series modems. It may work with yours??

Also request the Telco provider perform a remote RCL to verify line conditions. This should be done at no charge, does not require a dispatch and can be done via a few keyboard strokes in most cases.

Also check this previous post

JamesO

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blame game

Everything up to the terminals in the basement had recently been redone by Verizon. I haven't changed anything. Westell in proprietary to Verizon and won't answer any questions. Verizons tech help has been unavailable due to RITA. When there are no phone calls the service is quick and clean.
I'll endeavor to persevere.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Is your Westell a wireless device?

Do you connect your computer via wireless?

Do you use a cordless phone in your house? If so, it is 2.4 GHz?

JamesO

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Westell 327 is wireless.
I connect via the modem. Phone wire into the modem. Ethernet cable from the modem to the NIC card.
There are no other PCs or cordless phones (now connected.) Oddly enough when I had the DSL initially I had a 2.4 Ghz phone and everything worked as it should. Then one day (for no apparent reason) phone calls started to cause the internet to stop. The flow would grind to 0 kbs, remain like that for a minute or two...then gradually resume whether the call was still in progress or not.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
This is a classic symptom of a problem with the wiring and/or filters.

I normally run a home run from the service entrance directly to the DSL modem, then install a single filter between the rest of the telephone wiring and the service entrance. This will probably eliminate the issue you're seeing.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Called Verizon who did a line check. There appeared (to them) to be a lot of clicking on the line. They scheduled service for Wednesday this week. Thanks for the forward momentum. A resolution may be at hand!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I assume you have unplugged all normal telco items in the house as a test??

TiVo boxes, Satellite Receivers, Dial Up modems, Answering machines, FAX machines, TeleZapper, Caller ID, etc.

You might have a bad device connected causing problems??

Just to save you the service charge if the problem is in your house. If the problem is "outside plant" then there should be no charge to you.

JamesO

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Verizon came, saw, and conquered.

Several years ago I was at the mercy of a neighbor running a hot CB station. His skip talking was overwhelming anything I had with a speaker in it or on it. The phone folks put a filter on the service entrance that helped a bit. That was the problem. The filter had failed. They replace it with one that is more frienddly to DSL. One other filter on the line running to the PC and viola: no more fear of phone calls. DSL is now doing what it promised to do.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its Pennsylvania..anything goes!

The filter did stop the CDer from drowning out phone conversation. The FCC took care of him and all was well until DSL. It took an act of Congress (literally) to get the filter on in the first place. Now I am vulnerable to CDers and safe with DSL...Good trade?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.