Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator, Editor, Articles Team
12,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/ata/cuda7200pm.pdf

This HDD developed a problem about 9 months ago and while i was trying to find the fault it suddenly decided to start working again without my actually finding out what the problem was.

Is there a HDD diagnostic program to run from a disk or are there other things i should try first?

Not sure if same fault but seems familiar.

Kernel inpage data faults after spontaneous restart> error loading operating system.

Faint beep followed by clicking sound from inside machine.

If anyone could start me off in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Don't know how to get system specs as i can't get it to boot, though it did boot with UBCD last time i tried. :4-dontkno

·
Premium Member
19,891 Posts
you could go to the harddrives manufacturers website and download their harddrive testing utility.

·
12,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Sobeit,

Got a feeling this thread may need moving to security.

Downloaded Seatools for Dos, burned ISO to disk, tried to boot the pc with it and got this message;

InitDiskillegal partition table - drive 00 sector 0

While i was Googling it, the machine eventually decided to boot with Seatools and i'm now running the long drive self test but wondering if there is any point. Seems like i may have a Rootkit;

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2008/01/new_nasty_hides_from_windows_a.html

That was the only English result returned by Google.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just a thought, if it passes the sea tools test, possibly try replacing the IDE ribbon or SATA cable. This can sometimes show up as what you think is a bad hard drive but ends up being the cable. Also run sea tools more than once but it sounds like your drive is bad, time to backup and move on.

·
12,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Compstar, and welcome to TSF.

Posted in security forum and when i put everything together i think the HDD is kaput and yes, i think i should move on. Luckily, i don't use the pc for anything that may need backing up so its not as big a deal as it would be to some.

Thanks very much for the input. :wave:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome Deejay. I read a lot on here but should post more. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Just a final thought, have you tried to reformat the drive and re-install the OS? You could also get a little boot cd called Hiren's boot disk. This has hard drive diag tools built into it and much more. I know how hard it is to get rid of those old computers that you know have a couple years left for basic use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.