Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have five WinXP pro machines, all pretty new. All on same network.

All some network group name and have different computer names.

Four of the machine find each other 100% and all works well.

One I cannot get to join the network at all.

I have freashly installed everything, all MS updates. No firewalls.

All set up with ADSL via DHCP router.

All five able to access internet fine.

I just cannot get #5 to show on the network at all. I have checked and triple checked everything and nothing is wrong.

I plan to install a new lan card, as that's the only thing I can think it can be.

My QUESTIONS:

1: Could it be the lan card, even though the ADSL works okay through it.

2: Is there anything I could try or that I may have missed.

I can't see that there is. It is a completely fresh install, with all the settings fine and the machine should just join the network as all the other machines did. But I would really appreciate some input from you guys.

Thank you.

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
It's not the NIC, since there is nothing extra required of the NIC for file/print sharing.

Checklist for networking Windows Machines with TCP/IP
-----------------------------------------------------
- PCs which are not XP must have TCP/IP installed.
- Each PC must have a unique computer name.
- Each PC must have a network share defined.
- ALL NICS must be on the same subnet (e.g. IP 192.168.0.* subnet mask 255.255.255.0).
- XP PCs must have Netbios over TCP/IP enabled (only essential for XP to talk to W9X PCs).
- MS Client and file & printer sharing must be enabled on each machine.
- All NICs must have their node type = anything except p-node (peer to peer, or point-point).
* To check, open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL.
- XP's ICF firewall is permanently disabled. (Only necessary for pre XP SP2).
- All 3rd party firewalls are disabled, uninstalled and deleted (until connection is working).
- PCs have the same workgroup (helps, but not essential for XP/2K, necessary for 9X/ME).

Allow 15 mins after rebooting a PC for that PC to appear in the workgroup, or
for it to see all other PCs. Or you can search for the PC by its computer name.

Additional things to check if you still have problems:
- Check your Services are Started on all PCs: Workstation, Server, TCP/IP Netbios helper, Computer Browser.
- XP gives access to its shares via the Net Guest Account. (Note, not the same as the local guest account in user accounts which should be off). Net Guest Account is enabled by default in XP, but to check it, open a command prompt and type: NET USER GUEST
Should return a line with 'Account active yes'.

Check XP Security policies:
--------------------------
- Access this computer from the network: add guest
- Deny logon locally: remove guest
- Network access:Sharing and security model... -> Guest only
- Deny access to this computer from the network-> check Guest is not here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
johnwill said:
- Check your Services are Started on all PCs: Workstation, Server, TCP/IP Netbios helper, Computer Browser.
- XP gives access to its shares via the Net Guest Account. (Note, not the same as the local guest account in user accounts which should be off). Net Guest Account is enabled by default in XP, but to check it, open a command prompt and type: NET USER GUEST
Should return a line with 'Account active yes'.

Check XP Security policies:
--------------------------
- Access this computer from the network: add guest
- Deny logon locally: remove guest
- Network access:Sharing and security model... -> Guest only
- Deny access to this computer from the network-> check Guest is not here.
Thank you John for all that.

If no NET USER GUEST how do I add one or make active?

Please how do I check XP security settings?

Thanks for your help.

G

·
There should be a led next to the nic port, this should be on when the cable is plugged in, or on your router led on, this means the cable is good. The actual nic could be bad, did you look in devices in hardware in system in control panel to see if there are errors ? try a different port on the router. you may want to take just the box ( pc) that will not connect and switch with one that will, that will tell you if it is that cable backbone or the pc.

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
tractorboy2 said:
There should be a led next to the nic port, this should be on when the cable is plugged in, or on your router led on, this means the cable is good. The actual nic could be bad, did you look in devices in hardware in system in control panel to see if there are errors ? try a different port on the router. you may want to take just the box ( pc) that will not connect and switch with one that will, that will tell you if it is that cable backbone or the pc.
Can you explain how he gets to the Internet through the router if the NIC is disconnected or bad? :4-dontkno

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
I suggest you see if you can ping other machines by name or IP number first. You could also reset the TCP/IP stack just for grins, I have needed this after SP2 application on several machines.

For this command, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset [log_file_name]

Note: the log_file_name needs to be specified, e.g. netsh int ip reset reset.log

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for all your input and help.

I found the problem:

All the networks was recieving it's IP addressing via DHCP. One of the DHCP routers ports was throwing off a different IP. i.e. all the rest were 10.3.109.xx, while one port was giving 10.3.115.30.

I hadn't expected that and it was John's advice to IPCONFIG /all that showed it to me. Thanks John. Swopped to a different port and zippp zooom we were away.

Oh, happy days!!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
chanter said:
One of the DHCP routers ports was throwing off a different IP. i.e. all the rest were 10.3.109.xx, while one port was giving 10.3.115.30.
I could be wrong, but am I the only one who doesn't see how that is possible if the router is set to work within the 10.3.109 subnet? :4-dontkno

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
Resolution, you're not wrong. I can't imagine how that was happening. I suppose that some odd failure in the port drivers could flip some bits, but it's hard to believe the frame checksum doesn't fail. In any case, all's well that ends well. :grin:

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Check your router settings

I had a similar problem. I found out it was not computer specific. Each of my computers was recognized by the network when it was connected alone or with up to 3 others. In other words, I could connect any combination of my 4 computers, but just not a 5th one.

In your router settings there is a place to specify how many computers can be on the network. Make sure it is set to the maxium. I had set mine to 4 when I set up the network originally, so the 5th one couldn't connect. I spent many hours troubleshooting and this turned out to be my only problem.

Hope your problem is this simple. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.