Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea what this could be, but I am going to take a guess and say it is NOT my monitor due to how it is acting.

I can be working on something (or not) and then all of a sudden, the freakin' screen will just go to verticle stripes of various colors. Sometimes they are yellow and green..sometimes blue and green...it is just weird. I have turned the monitor off and back on, but..yep..they are still there. The only way I can get back to what I was doing is to shut it off cold and reboot. Lovely. Tonight was it...I lost everything I was doing because it did it. I would say it happens 1-2 times a day.

PLEASE tell me this isn't a harddrive issue. I will die.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
video card

i saw this exact thing happen on a cirrus 16 meg i think it was. the only answer i found to this problem, is that if the lines are solid, and do not move, then it is your video cards' processor overheating and locking up. i am not sure this is what you describe, but try blowing a fan into your machine with the side open, and see if it happens then. but...

i am not sure it is what i think it is

~BoB~

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
remember atari?

if you were to jarr the cartridge on an atari it would do that, anyone remember that?

just some babble
~BoB~

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
haha yeah...I still have my atari

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Carie, along with what Bob was saying, I would suspect the video card before the hard drive. Do you have another video card or maybe onboard video you could test with by swapping out?

If not, you might try removing and reinstalling your video - just to make sure it has a good connection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yes 1 to 2 times a day fine on reboot, i agree i would suspect overheating make sure all your fans are working. if not i found a good way to direct air to a needy component is to cut off the bottom of a laundry detergent bottle , tape it to a fan and stick a paper towel roll(empty) onto the spout of the bottle, position that spout next to whatever component needs air. this will deliver a nice directed flow of air that will keep even an OC cpu cool.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know what? YOU GUYS ROCK!! I will tear the machine apart and see if I can get that reinstalled to see if it is the connection....and make sure there is ventilation:)

I backed up the PC anyway last night in case it was a harddrive issue:)

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
thats a good idea

i like that idea but you know, you almost describe a hair drier gun. if someone had a blow drier with a cold air setting that might work too, but a blow drier always puts those annoying little static lines on my screen. but i like this idea with the bottle and paper roll. i am about to install a 6 inch fan in the side of my case so that i can get my processor temp below 55 degrees. i have the case marked for cut but i am waiting for the fan so i dont go on forever with a 6x6 square hole with no fan. it will be right in the processors face, and i think this will help alot. i am also using a high speed 110 volt ac fan for this. hehe it better work, or i will build my PC inside out next time. LOL.

~BoB~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.