Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older compaq laptop running windows 98. when I start up my computer i get an error saying: The OLEAUT32.DLL file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem. but before that when it very first starts it says: The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'lnk.' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again. if I just let it sit for a few seconds the OLEAUT32.DLL error comes up, followed by this: This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor. Does anybody know where to start? Please let me know! THANKS!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just make sure you have the correct version of OLEAUT32.dll on your PC, if you have something like version 3.5, it would cause problems like you describe. I believe 3.5 of OLEAUT32.dll is primarily used by WinXP. Get an earlier version for win98. Probably have to boot to bootable disk or Cd and replace that dll file with the right one. If you are not sure, copy it from another Win98 PC over to yours.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
I'm moving this to the Windows 98 forum. You should be able to get more responses there.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hi, Under System Tools, System Information, Tools, System File Checker you will be able to extract any file from the install disk or check all files for missing, corruption or date etc. and replace them.

Good Luck, Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.