Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just recently built a new computer. after finally putting everything together, when I go to install XP using an old disk, windows only recognizes 130gigs out of the 320 gigs the HDD has. So I figure it will be resolved after installing updates via windows updater. But, no still no good. Is there a way for my windows to recognize the entire HDD without installing a newer version of XP first?

Im also having a problem with the graphics card/driver. I have a Geforce 8600 GT I bought recently. When I install the drivers it came with the screen's right side is cut off by a pretty large black margin. I've tried to adjust the screen spacing via nvidia control panel but no good. Help for both these problems would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Hi PublicEnemy and welcome to TSF !

The 137GB limit with older XP install disks is a known limitation of the OS. You need an XP SP1 or later CD to be able to format a partition larger than 137GB during the XP installation.

Right-click my computer and click manage. Go to disk management and you'll notice some unpartitioned space. Right-click it to create a partition. Use the default values and assign it a volume letter and the missing space will become available as if it was a new drive. Keep in mind that it's actually on the same physical drive than the first partition. Don't use it to backup valuable data from the other partition since if the hard drive fails one day you'll lose both partitions.

About your video problem, could you tell us more about your system specs ? Follow the "posting system specs" link in my sig and use everest to create a hardware report. Don't forget to open the computer case to tell us the brand, model and wattage of your power supply (written on the sticker that's on the side of the power supply block).

What's the brand of your Geforce 8600GT ? (Nvidia is the chip manufacturer, not the video card manufacturer).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I dont have anymore problems with that, I got it all resolved now. The thing now is the PC is running slower than crap. I dont know whats going on

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.