Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Old WD scorpio not working

I have this old 60 gb Western Digital portable hard drive that suddenly stopped working today. when I plug it in the computer says it's installing driver software as if it's the first time I ever plugged it into the computer. The driver successfully installs according to the computer and it says I'm using a WDC ROM-MODEL SCORPIO-- USB Device. And that's it. It doesn't show up in my computer. device manager says the device is working fine, even though I know it's not because when I plug it in it makes weird noises. When working correctly it used to silently vibrate. Now it doesn't vibrate. It makes a harsh noise followed by a whirr that sounds like a car speeding up followed by a sudden clicking noise. This repeats for a while and then it stops and nothing happens. The disc inside doesn't seem to be spinning since the hard drive isn't vibrating and I can't hear anything inside. The last time it was working was yesterday when coppying a file it said "the device has malfunctioned". After rebooting the computer it worked fine and today it simply doesn't work at all. I really need help!

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Probably head failure Could be motor/spindle failure - it is initing only from teh PCB ROM - Hence the development name of the drive. Time to replace the drive, recovery cost starts at about $1200 and only goes up and not something that can be fixed at home. You could try a PCB swap if you can find a matching donor. Need same model, country of origin and firmware revision. on the label stuck on the PCB on the connecter you will need to match the second set of numbers #### ####### ( usually 7). From teh sounds of it I would be surprised if it is a PCB failure but it could be.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the pcb? I'm a little confused. You said something about a label. the only thing on the label underneath the hard drive says:

WD Western Digital (c)

2 barcodes

MDL: WD600U017-RSN

S/N: WXEZ04059441

Assembled in Thailand with drive
manufactured in Thailand.

and a couple of symbols like a trash can with an X on it
a check mark in a black circle
a CE and FC
and a circle with MIC in it.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
If the drive is out of warranty, remove it from the housing. Most often, the enclosure hardware fails before the drive does.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok i'll try that. The problem is that the entire enclosure doesn't have a single screw. It's like they don't want you to open it. you've seen wd passports. how they're virtually impossible to open. I'll post if I can open it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey I opened it out of the case. (I didn't take it out of the actual hard drive case. just the external case that you see when you buy it. the first layer.) now I plugged it in and I can hear the disc inside spinning but then it randomly stops and starts again until it finally stops. the harddrive says WD600 WD Scorpio (tm) on the sticker on the drive. what should I do now?

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Sounds like a physical failure, teh drive is not able to init - corruption or damage in the SA area of the drive, or head stack failure. Is the drive recognized in BIOS correctly by model number? ( WD###### -##### ) should be on the label.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Is the disk spinning up? The factory model name you are seeing indicates the drive is intializing from the rom in the PCB, but is unable to read the drive adaptives from the Service Area of the drive. Unfortunately not a user serviceable condition. Wait now... you are still using it on USB? I thought you said the enclosure was open? Take the disk out, and install it as an internal drive in the PC. Do not open the hard drive, just remove it from the enclosure. This way you eliminate all the USB translation - the drive can commuicate at the level it is supposed to when connected as an internal drive. You need to be sure the drive itself is working.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took the drive out of the enclosure. I didn't open the drive. now wait. you want me to install it like an internal hdd? how can I do that without switching the drive in my laptop with the portable hd?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.