Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am not sure whether to post this in the hard drive section or laptop. Nonetheless here is my dilemma. (I am not tech savy)

I bought a new 2.5 internal laptop hard drive(40g,5400rpm), with an external USB 2.0 case. Put the hard drive in the external case. (Was confused about why I could use it right away and someone told me I have to partition and format it, so I did an NTFS, however, I am unsure that was the right thing to do).

Anyway, my real problem is that my laptop is USB 1.1 capable, I want to purchase something that will convert that to USB 2.0. Any suggestions in terms of what products are out there, I don't know what to search for? Secondly, I only have one USB port on my laptop and one pcmcia slot. I use the PCMCIA slot for wireless connection. So my next question is would it be better to get a USB 1.1 to USB 2.0 converter that plugs into a PCMCIA slot or USB Slot, if such options are available. I don't know the benefits of these two things.

Okay now that problem aside, I have another problem. I have a laptop cooler/USB Hub.
1) When I connect my external hard drive to the computer directly, my computer detects it and I can use the hard drive.
2) However, when I connect my external hard drive to the hub it does not function, or does not function properly.
Why??
What are my possible solutions, Please note I only have one USB port in my computer, which is primarily being used by the laptop cooler, so that means I can't use my external hard drive.
Any solutions to this problem.

My laptop does not have any optical drives that I can use for external storage. It is a Dell Latitude LS PIII 400MHz, 128mb, 6.0gb.

I will have more questions, but just want you all to digest this information first. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
722 Posts
You could get something like this, PMCIA USB 1.1 to 2 card and then you would need to get a USB wi-fi card if you only have one slot. There is no such thing as an external adaptor for USB 1.1 to 2 yet as far as I know. :4-dontkno

The example in the link is just for your information of the sort of cards available.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.