Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tech Guy/Gentoo User
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people may remember the same problem I had way back: Blue screens!

Now I have got a New PSU (A Mercury something, and I'm sure it said +12V - 23 When my old one was 13.
More memory, which seems alright, might run memtest again though.

I get the blue screens even more often now, even when not doing anything highly CPU intensive. Once after starting up I got an error message saying: System Has Recovered from a Serious Error' And I thought what the heck and I sent the error report. I then got IE popping up and Microsofts Report thing said that It was an unknown problem. It then said it 'noticed' my CPU was incompatible with my board, which came as a surprise because the MSI website says that it is compatible. I think the problem may be that I have the V1 AMI BIOS when That CPU list was for V1.5. Another problem: No Floppy Drive, and No space for one in my case. Any other way to Flash the BIOS? I dont understand the Stupid MSI Intructions. Maybe I'll throw it all out and replace it. My Board is a MS-6585 or 648 Max. CPU is Intel Celeron 2.0GHz and I have 1 stick of Crucial 256MB RAM (PC2100) and a stick of Hynix 256MB RAM (PC2100)

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Brian, first pull that second memory chip out and reset your cmos before you flash the bios. See if the blue screens reappear, and if so, post the error log.

·
Tech Guy/Gentoo User
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems it could be my sound drivers. On the blue screen this time I got 'Attempted to Write to ROM' and it just said Alcxwsm.sys (Realtek '97). What about a reinstall of windoze?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

·
Tech Guy/Gentoo User
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a repair install; No joy.

·
Tech Guy/Gentoo User
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Absolutely not! It made them worse.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
it sounds to me as if you are still suffering from a bad PSU unit I have never heard of the brand "mercury"

there are a flood of absolutely garbage units out there >>>>>>

I would have a peak at the Hiper-R 580 watt or Tagan brand (better choice) they are pricey for you poor chaps, but there is nothing cheap about having two units that dont get the job done!

also Kalim found a unit named Coolermaster Igreen series(no other coolermaster units >>>>> yuck) that was top notch get atleast a 550 watt unit

·
Tech Guy/Gentoo User
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems like a pretty sound PSU, with 28A on the +12v Rail, and a big 120mm fan, and more connectors than i've ever seen. Also has SATA. I wouldnt waste any more money on this piece of crap.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
how much did you pay for it,this will tell you how good it is google search brings them up as absolute rubbish

·
Tech Guy/Gentoo User
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
£8. I thought it was pretty decent :S

·
Tech Guy/Gentoo User
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was from ebay. Im not paying £80 for a PSU to run a computer like this when I can get a new computer from ebay for the same price!

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
i was not suggesting you need that one just pointing out the difference between quality and genric
first you need to find out what you need put your specs in here
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
add 30% to the end result
then usuing that figure as a minimum,scour google for sales that are on
in the usa someone has always a special on whereas here you never see anything on special your scratching to even find one
i don't know what it's like in the uk as i rarely search anything there
with an old system you can usally pick a good one up cheap from one of the local bargin boards,from someone that has upgraded

·
Tech Guy/Gentoo User
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That PSU calculator came out at 235W

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.